Lime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime

I hope everyone had a good winter. As I'm sitting here drinking my coffee the following flashes across the bottom line: "NY Helicopters dump lime on Adirondack pond to help trout." Haven't googled it yet but thought it would make for a good thread. I'm assuming this has something to do with winter kill concerns?

Ice-out is closer than you think--daffodils and chives are coming up in the garden.
    http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/...ide-chapter-3/

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Ghost View Post
      I hope everyone had a good winter. As I'm sitting here drinking my coffee the following flashes across the bottom line: "NY Helicopters dump lime on Adirondack pond to help trout." Haven't googled it yet but thought it would make for a good thread. I'm assuming this has something to do with winter kill concerns?

Ice-out is closer than you think--daffodils and chives are coming up in the garden.
      Nope. This is an acidified lake. The lime puts its pH where it needs to be for brookies to grow and prosper.
      Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Lime is easier to distribute on a lake when the ice is still on, I know a club that has used snowmobiles to haul lime onto a pond, then when the ice thaws the lime is introduced into the water
        in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

Adirondack lakes have always been acidic due to the surrounding forests.
          Spruce, Hemlocks.
          We cannot change nature.
          There have always been lakes and ponds that have been better fishing than others.
          It's vanity that drives us to think that we can alter our universe.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimVroman View Post
            Spruce, Hemlocks.
            We cannot change nature.
            There have always been lakes and ponds that have been better fishing than others.
            Jim
            Well we did alter it with carbon from Midwest smoke stacks. That's why they lime ponds not because ADK ponds are naturally acidic. No need for lime 100 years ago. Brook Trout evolved in those conditions.
            Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

From the DEC press releases on their website.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/101077.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
                Well we did alter it with carbon from Midwest smoke stacks.
                It is acidic compounds of sulphur and nitrogen oxides from fossil fuel burning smoke stacks that are the primary components of acid rain, not carbon.
                Last edited by Wldrns; 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM.
                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Spruce, Hemlocks.
                  We cannot change nature.
                  Jim

They were never as acidic as they currently are. That is not up for debate and the reasons are well known. Science is great. Even if you don't believe it it's still true.
                  Last edited by Glen; 03-23-2015, 07:47 PM. Reason: clarify
                  “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                  ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Put de Lime in de Coconut and drink it all up
                    Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Spruce, Hemlocks.
                      We cannot change nature.
                      Jim
                      Gonna have to agree with glen on this one...science pretty much proves that we have altered the PH levels in our ponds
                      in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

Does the DEC do anything to alter the ph of streams like Bradley Brook or the Sumner Stream in the Moose River Plains??

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                          It is acidic compounds of sulfur and nitrogen oxides from fossil fuel burning smoke stacks that are the primary components of acid rain, not carbon.
                          Gimme a break I was posting from an IPhone in a parking lot. I know what acid rain is.
                          Last edited by Gman; 03-24-2015, 03:43 AM.
                          Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
                            Gonna have to agree with glen on this one...
                            Your Ballbuster card is REVOKED!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
                              Gimme a break I was posting from an IPhone in a parking lot. I know what acid rain is.
                              You may know what acid rain is, but your post indicated otherwise. We are not mind readers to know that you being in a parking lot was the apparent cause for stated misinformation. Readers of your post could not know you are in a parking lot, or that carbon is not the agent of acid rain.
                              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                              X