Adirondack Lake Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adirondack Lake Trout

So over the years and more recently as I have become more active to these online forums I have been asked where to get ADK lake trout. I am very hesitant to give up this information mainly when I don't know if the person is practicing catch and release. Now I am not really referring to big lakes, Champlain and lake George. This pertains to the smaller lakes here in the park. The first step to solving a problem is acknowledging that there is one, and spreading the word to the public. It is imperative that we as sportsman understand how serious this problem really is. For those who have ever caught a lake trout on the ice it is one hell of a fight and very rewarding. If this is something we wish to keep going we must act now. Generally speaking the drop in populations is a direct result of global warming and not necessarily over fishing, HOWEVER, what few lakes still hold lake trout are at this point very sensitive to overfishing. Here in the Adirondacks we are at the southern most part of the Lake Trout Habitat. and these changes are directly affecting the lake trout populations. Please read this for a better understanding of the problem at hand

http://lakeplacidnews.com/page/conte....html?nav=5059.

Regards,

Ryan Ball

Excellent article. Thanks, Ryan.
    Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Here's a link to the TNC website where the report referenced in the article is available:
      http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...ut-studies.xml

Comment

Great article, Thanks!
        "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Thanks Ryan. Lake trout is my favorite freshwater fish to catch. It would be a sad day when the last one leaves the park.

Comment

I knew a biologist who said the lake trout strain here in Eastern Ontario spawn during the full moon between mid October and mid November regardless of temperature. The fall is now longer and milder than previous so the water temperature is not dropping fast or cold enough in fall. Remember how deep the brookies were in October?

Since these trout lakes are on the Frontenac Arch, the land mass which connects the Adirondacks to the greater Precambrian Shield they may be the same strain. The only separate strain that is further south is the Seneca Lake strain which does not appear in trouble because they spawn a month later.

Normally the eggs incubate over winter and hatch fully developed in spring when water temperatures are on the upswing and the lake is coming to life. Lately the incubation period is much shorter and the trout are hatching in late fall while lake temperatures are still dropping. The result is there is nothing to eat and the young are starving. Also due to the shorter incubation many of the juvenile trout are deformed and not fully developed.

Here it is in his words:

However, an egg/fry incubation study initiated in the late 1980s indicated that if eggs are deposited at high temperature at spawning time in the fall, they hatch prematurely (lake trout require 495 heat units, or oC days, to hatch). If temperatures are low at spawning time, development is slower and hatch is more appropriately delayed until spring, resulting in increased survival and production at time of spring emergence. There is evidence that fall spawning time of lake trout is more associated with the fish strain, water body, and photoperiod than with temperature, whereas temperature seems to be more important for fish that spawn in early spring (cool-water fish) and early summer (warm-water fish) (Table 1). From detailed incubation studies, it has been proven that if temperature at spawning time were 1oC warmer, survival and recruitment of lake trout fry would decrease by almost 1.5-fold, 2oC by 2.4-fold, and at 3oC the decrease would be 20-fold (Table 2). Also, summer temperature conditions are increasing, and there is new evidence that lake surface area in relation to volume affects cooling. This is compounded by the fact that fall and early winter temperatures are increasing.
            I remember he also said that Pike, Muskie, Walleye and Perch would be losers as the climate changed.

The big winner? Black Crappie
            Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

I grew up on a private pond in a tiny town down by Binghamton. The crappie where our go to fish in the area. Now living in Saranac Lake I wish there where more up here. The few and I mean very few ponds I have found them to be in are to small and I don't dare take many if any home. They really are fun to catch on the jig rod. Wouldn't mind a few more areas with them. I will be heading out to floodwood sunday. We are looking at one crazy change in weather I hope it brings on the bite. Read in a few places there are crappie in there. I have caught bluegill this fall and some beauts. Who knows its worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
              X