No announcement yet.

Ice Fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone fish floodwood? I read there is a good selection from lakers, salmon, pike, bluegill and even crappie. I attempted once years ago to ice fish and it was so slushy that day we gave up. With this crazy weather coming sunday the change I hope will get them feeding. Thinking about hitting it up.

Comment

Seen a truck out on Raquett pond across from McDonalds in Tupper Lake today.

Comment

Ice

Found ice on Brant. Proceeded to angle trout.
        Attached Files

Comment

Does anybody know if Indian Lakes` southern basin froze up. And if so, about how thick? Asked the same question on Iceshanty, so covering 2 bases!! Thanx!

WB
          "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Originally posted by wildbrookies View Post
            Does anybody know if Indian Lakes` southern basin froze up. And if so, about how thick? Asked the same question on Iceshanty, so covering 2 bases!! Thanx!

WB
            I'm no ice fisher, but we were in the area the Saturday before last (December 27th). We saw two groups out ice fishing in the southern basin. One guy was solo, another group of maybe 2 to 4 (memory fails to how many) was setting up when we passed by at noon. Water at the edges in some spots and it looked sketchy to us but they seemed to be good. But that was a while back, and it warmed up some the following few days. But still with this coming week of near zero temperatures, I would venture to guess it may easily be safe. Indian Lake seems to take longer to freeze because of its size, but I will bow to those with greater knowledge on the subject.

Comment

Schroon Lake

Went to Schroon Lake on Saturday and fished just south of Eagle point along the shoreline in 15-25' of water. Had no luck at all. There were 4 of us, we had 15 traps and were jigging and no luck at all. We stopped at fish307 and got medium shiners and jugheads. No complaints at all about the bait, they lasted the whole day in very cold conditions.

It didn't seem like anyone was having any luck though. We saw one flag when we were setting up (around 9 am) and it was a nice size pike caught just below the ice, other than that didn't see anyone get anything.

Plenty of ice though, a good 6". Hoping to have better luck next week, maybe try Brant.

Comment

Fished LG this weekend. Solid 7-8" on Harris Bay.

Comment

Fished Schroon yesterday. Caught the usual skunk. It was a great day to be out on the ice though. My fishing partner managed one laker about 20" which went back down the hole. I marked some big schools of what I believe were smelt moving through at times but I couldn't even get them to bite. A good 12 inches of solid black ice.

Comment

Salmon

Like some people who hear voices in their heads, I too hear voices. It is the salmon calling me; and I tend to listen. I will hit The Lake of George this weekend and connect with said salmon.

Comment

Hey Nola,
                      We stopped going to the Big "G" because salmon were getting so few and far between. Then we heard they were becoming a diminished population in there. Took a bunch of skunkings then decided it wasn`t worth it anymore. Do you know something we don`t? And have you heard of any being caught recently thru the ice? Would like to give it another try . Fish 307 said a few guys were slamming them in the fall on flies off of million dollar beach ,but we heard that same story every year !! Hard to believe bait shops..:roll eyes: Good luck in your quest for them! They are truly a fantastic fish to pursue! Please report back of your outing.
                      WB
                      "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

14" - 16" of ice at the northern end of Raquette Lake near Boucher Point this past weekend, I only had two flags late in the day on Saturday. Missed one, and the other was a caught & released 19" lake trout.

Comment

I found the ice to already be 20"`s on Indian last friday. Probably 2 ft by now. 34 turns with my 6" Mora hand auger. Good workout drilling 9 holes.

WB

Comment

I just received a new Nils 8" auger yesterday. Sure hope they are as easy to drill with as reports indicate. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get out there!

Comment

Working...
                            X