A Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Start

I took a walk into one of my favorite early season ponds yesterday. It was a very pleasant surprise to find the pond completely ice-free. It was a shock to find the water temperature at the surface was 50!!! That means I probably could have fished 10 days ago. Live, learn and put it in the journal.

The fish were active, but not the ones I was looking for. Could it be turnover? Someone ice fishing with dynamite, thus creating the conditions for early ice out? I dunno but will give this pond another shot or two before moving on.

I ended up catching a good number, all between 12 and 14". This girl is representative.
    Attached Files
    Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Looks like a great start! NY or VT?

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
      Looks like a great start! NY or VT?
      NY, Adirondacks of course. I don't know why I still get a VT fishing license since I hardly ever fish on this side anymore.

Comment

Awesome catch VT

Comment

What type of minnow is that? I am unfamiliar with that species....
          “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
          ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
            What type of minnow is that? I am unfamiliar with that species....
            Splake, of course.

It must be torture to be on LI when the ponds are losing their ice and your buddy is out there fishing. That's the only explanation I can come up with for such bitter vitriol towards a friend.

Now, what favorite pond should I fish this weekend???

Comment

Nice start to the season VT!! Was hoping you got out and was patiently waiting for a report from you!! Keep it going!

WB
              "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Upon closer examination it appears to be a specimen of Channa Gachua. Quite surprising but maybe not so much since it appears they are susceptible to flavored baits presented with lots of weight.

Anyway, congrats on your catch! Did you mount it?
                “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

One of many more to come. Nice, VT.
                  http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                    Upon closer examination it appears to be a specimen of Channa Gachua. Quite surprising but maybe not so much since it appears they are susceptible to flavored baits presented with lots of weight.

Anyway, congrats on your catch! Did you mount it?
                    Got a little "envy thing" going there, Glen?
                    Scooting here and there
                    Through the woods and up the peaks
                    Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Originally posted by randomscooter View Post

Nah. I'm just opposed to bragging about fish that lost their egg sacs the day before......
                      ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by randomscooter View Post
                        Scoots, don't worry. All this will end soon after Glen reaches puberty.

Comment

Working...
                        X