First Pond Brookies of the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Pond Brookies of the Season

My wife and I took a nice long hike yesterday. The idea was to just scout some ponds and check ice-out. Of course I did bring a rod. On the first cast I landed a 16" brookie--not a bad way to start the season. This was followed up by another comparable sized fish. After a few casts my wife landed the fish of the day--a beautiful 18 incher. All fish were released and I can't wait to get back out. A great way to start the season for sure.
    Attached Files
    http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

An ice-out brookie.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like its time to dust off the Blackjack. Nice catch GG.

Comment

Well after lurking for a while I finally registered so I could have a peek at your catch. Beautiful fish...congrats to you and your wife.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful brook trout!!

Comment

Those are really nice fish--I'm definitely envious. Were those from an Adirondack pond? My sources are telling me that the ice is now where near out yet. Maybe time to do some recon of my own.

Comment

here in saranac lake still iced over. cant wait to get out beautiful fish.

Comment

Beautiful Brookies, congrats on a fine start to the season!

Comment

I only fish ADK ponds. It's funny how the slightest elevation/ sun exposure change can make a huge difference. One pond I checked was totally iced--think January. Yet just a little further up the trail there was enough open water for my Hornbeck.

Comment

Nice!

Matching finger nail polish too!
                    "The way I see it, you're hooked.Trout have you. Another soul lost." Elias Wonder, The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Comment

nice looking fish. thats awesome

Comment

Awesome fish! I was out scouting ponds for a bit today and'll be out again all day tomorrow...My only fish of the day was about 4", but it was out of a pond i coulda had my canoe in too. Saw more ice than water again today.
                        "Ahh! The old fishing hole... so peaceful and relaxing. Doesn't even matter if I catch a single fish -- ah! Come on you stupid fish, take the bait! Don't make me come down there!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

GG,
                          Nice report and awesome that you both caught fish!! ..not easy at times..but the special memory will be that your wife caught an absolute beauty!! And you both will cherish that day forever!!

One more thing, thanks for posting such nice photos,btw!! Were they put on the grill, they look to have good inside color(judging ,only because the outside looks very nice).Buttered down and stuffed with your favorites ,these fish would be very delicious !!

WB
                          "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Pretty!
                            "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

We put them all back, WB, though I do enjoy trout here and there, especially smoked. You should pass along your grilled/stuffed recipe sometime. I don't mind keeping a few depending on the fishery, though I'm almost exclusively C&R these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X