Ponds clearing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponds clearing up?

I was planning on coming up from Virginia the last weekend in April to do some kayaking/fishing around the Floodwood Pond area. Reading some of the other posts I was wondering if the ponds are still iced in (it's been fairly warm here so I didn't even think about it)?

Bring skis.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5046

Things could be different at the end of April which is three weeks away.

Comment

thanks

Yikes! Looks like I'll postpone and try again in May... would've been quite the surprise

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
      Bring skis.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5046

Things could be different at the end of April which is three weeks away.

Comment

Come in August and still plan on bringing skis. The ice is 3 feet thick. Even Champlain is still iced over.
        Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

If the weather stays nice you might be able to get a kayak in the waters of the southern Adirondacks by then, but as of yet there has been no ice out. Your best bet for fishing will be the small tributaries as they empty out faster than the larger rivers they feed. With such a hard snow pack this year it's going to be a while before larger rivers are ideal for fishing again.

Comment

She's going to go quick.... I think!

I was out in the backcountry here today (same conditions as the ADK's) and there's runoff and freshets pouring down every gulley and into the ponds from above.
            Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
              She's going to go quick.... I think!

I was out in the backcountry here today (same conditions as the ADK's) and there's runoff and freshets pouring down every gulley and into the ponds from above.
              Would that backcountry include the sw adirondacks? Just wondering if I will need snowshoes to get to the ponds?
              Two Beavers

Comment

I could still be ice fishing on the lake where my camp is. Conditions are deteriorating pretty fast though and the snowmelt seems to be occurring at a good rate. My contact indicated that the shoreline hasn't even loosened up. This is in the Tupper Lake vicinity. The ponds around Gloversville (a few miles south of the blue line) are just now opening up. The ponds in the park are quite a bit higher in elevation, so I'm guessing it will be another 10 days before they open up, depending on the weather.

Comment

Cascade Lakes are showing some open water along the shores. They may not be representative of general trends, but heck, they're better than nothin'!!
                  Scooting here and there
                  Through the woods and up the peaks
                  Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Sunday April 13 we ice fished Fourth Lake. Had 12 inches of clear ice with 3 inches of white ice on top of that and 3 inches of watery slush on top of that.
                    May be awhile before ice out.

Comment

I'm going to get my boat out of storage this week. Got a laundry list of maintenance chores to do on it before the ponds open (Oil the Frame, refinish the hull below the waterline, add floor grates). Going to be a busy spring!

Comment

Lake champlain finally went out yesterday! Makin some progress!
                        "Ahh! The old fishing hole... so peaceful and relaxing. Doesn't even matter if I catch a single fish -- ah! Come on you stupid fish, take the bait! Don't make me come down there!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

i went in to a pond yesterday in the southern adirondacks and the edges were clear. the rest was iced over but you could tell it wasnt very thick.
                          "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Lee Wulff

Comment

I drove by Kayuta Lake (Forestport, on the western edge of the Blue Line) yesterday... just a few chunks of flow ice remaining, some blocking the launch access, but otherwise mainly open water. When this rain stops I can begin my season of (almost) daily race training paddling.
                            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Old Forge, South Shore road. Twin Ponds and Quiver are out. The same source told me 4th won't last long...

Comment

Working...
                              X