NP Trail notes after thru-hike completed 7-31-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP Trail notes after thru-hike completed 7-31-18

- West Lake Lean-To #1 roof leaks like sieve and is in bad need of repair, trail register is full here too.
    - Seward Lean-To outhouse is full, no deposits accepted. Otherwise a great spot to stop.
    - Ask everyone to carry out more than they carried in, a lot of junk left at the Lean-To's that can be cleaned up if everyone just carried out a little more than they carried in.

Congrats! Nice meeting you on the trail. Bet that icecream was awesome!
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by elbert89 View Post
      - - Ask everyone to carry out more than they carried in, a lot of junk left at the Lean-To's that can be cleaned up if everyone just carried out a little more than they carried in.

Congrats on the awesome accomplishment!
      Tick Magnet

Comment

Did you happen to visit West Lake #2? I adopted it this year and will be making my first visit to it in a couple weeks. It would be helpful to know what is needed there prior to my visit. Thanks in advance.
        "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
        - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

What's the protocol for those who adopt a lean-to? I just assumed it was visited by that person every month, or so, to be sure it was being well maintained.

Comment

ADK Adopt a Leanto

Minimum twice a year. I just adopted this year. Will make the first trip in this summer and the second in fall. Next year I plan to go more often. You can check with the ADK Club about the specifics and any that are available. It is a lottery system. I was in on it many years ago, when it first got started. At one point (when I was single), I had all of the leantos on the Five Ponds Trail, as I was in there 6-8 times a year. Once marriage and kids came along, I couldn't make the visits. I am hoping I can get back into it now that the kids are grown and on their own.
            - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Getting a lean-to to adopt is chancy. Most, if not all, have adopters already. There are several sections of the NPT in need of stewards to help maintain the trail though. Here's what ADK lists as open sections with no steward:

N-PT Averyville Rd to Peacock Brook
              N-PT Duck Hole to Moose Pond
              N-PT Ouluska LT to Duck Hole
              N-PT Shattuck Clearing to Ouluska LT
              N-PT Rt 28N south to Ridge
              N-PT Ridge S/O Rt 28 to Salmon River Road
              N-PT Stephens Pond L-T to Browns Brook
              N-PT Sucker Brook Trail Junction to West Canada Creek

Full info here - https://www.adk.org/trail-steward/

Comment

How were the trail conditions? How many days did you take?
                http://edthesmokebeard.com/

Comment

Trail Conditions in August 2018

When I went in August, the first part of the trail from West Lake towards the Cedars had some rough sections. There was a lot of blowdown and wet spots, sometimes in combination. It didn't look like a trail crew was through there before I went, so maybe by next year it will get cleared and will be easier. However, there are some really beautiful sections and I can't wait to go back there.
                  - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                  X