Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Skylight bushwhack to Redfield?

Hi All,
    Doing an October hike to Feldspar and doing skylight, gray, and Marcy. Just curious if it's possible to bushwhack from Skylight to redfield?!?

Thanks!

Some info here:

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...-of-the-clouds

I think there are a couple more threads on this. Bottom line; it looks good on the map, but it's very thick and slow going.

Comment

I've done it from Redfield to Skylight, years ago. It was fun but the upper slopes of Skylight left me pretty shredded. Another time I bushwhacked from Redfield over to the Calamity Brook trail a bit below Tear of the Clouds (starting north from the col between Redfield & Skylight). That was easier but still dense at times. So it's very doable but wear either tough clothing, or stuff you don't mind damaging.

Comment

Believe it or not, I would do that bushwack in the rain. The spruce will scratch you less with the ?lubricant? of wet skin. It definitely will be a slow go of it. When, a equally, as me, crazy buddy and, I climbed Little Nippletop and McDonnel we averaged 1/4 to 1/3 of a mph. Plus there is not much water in the area so we were able to collect plenty of water from overhanging moss seeps. If I was to want to possibly camp a night, observing all rules I would hammock camp, we found no place to set up a tent. Temps were in the 50°s in mid Oct. with the rain helping us to keep cool - we were working hard to bot climb up and push through the spruce. (We only put on rain gear for water/snack breaks and lunch.)BTW l have thought of visiting Moss pond and the ?lost pond? named on some maps a mile South of Redfield.

Comment

i did a variation of the reverse, redfield to skylight, earlier this summer. i was not on the most direct or fastest possible route but it took me 3 and a half hours to connect the peaks.

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...pire-and-slide

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by richard1726 View Post
              Believe it or not, I would do that bushwack in the rain. The spruce will scratch you less with the ?lubricant? of wet skin.
              I have felt this. The softening of the spruce from a good soaking rain.
              Fond memories of fingers like prunes, needles everywhere, and pace too slow to prevent hypothermia. Living the good life.

Comment

Working...
              X