Floodwood Mountain road closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floodwood Mountain road closed?

So I tried to go to Floodwood Mtn last weekend but a little under 6 miles from the trailhead (acc'd to Google Maps), there was a sign saying the road was closed in 5 miles. So I turned around. Anyone know why? Or for how long it might be the case? I didn't see anything about a closure on the DEC website either.
    Successful ascents: 137 (81 different) as of 8/30/22
    Adirondack/Catskill fire tower challenge: 13/31
    Adk 29er challenge: 11/29

Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad, Hamilton County Waterfall

Doesn't that turn into a seasonal road before you get to the Floodwood Mountain trailhead? It's been a relatively early spring in some respects but it's still early to be expecting most seasonal roads to be open yet. Even after the snow melts there's still a necessary "drying out" period where the road is given time to dry and let the mud settle before it can be opened.

Comment

Did you get as far as the RR crossing at Floodwood (the canoe outfitters location)? The trailhead is under three miles farther and, if I remember correctly, Floodwood road was gated beyond the side road to the TH.

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
        Did you get as far as the RR crossing at Floodwood (the canoe outfitters location)? The trailhead is under three miles farther and, if I remember correctly, Floodwood road was gated beyond the side road to the TH.
        That is how I remember it also.

Comment

Same here, hiked it in Feb, could drive just beyond the TH but then had to park over 1/2 mile plus before the TH in the plowed lot. Should be able to reach and park at TH currently.

Comment

Been a long time since I hiked this and maybe it's changed but I recall a small parking area to the left right before or after the road you start hiking down to get to the trail. I recall gates, but I don't recall exactly where. Seems like the road you start hiking down is gated and I know there's a DEC sign where the trail splits off. Can't recall if there was any signage anywhere else.
            Last edited by montcalm; 05-05-2021, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I looked at the sat image, there is a large sandy parking area there. I don't actually recall it being as big as it is... anyway, I *think* that's where I started.

If you ever get back and get to the end of the trail, you may be underwhelmed with the view. There's a a very small clearing and narrow slab (that I don't recommend climbing down) where you can kind of see off to the southeast.

The actual summit is quite wooded but if you head up what I remember as a large, 12-15' or so, rock spline and head to the southwest corner of the main summit, you end up coming to a very open area over some cliffs where you can see quite far. This is mostly looking south, southwest toward Tupper Lake.

You can see to the west too but not a lot of views because of trees encroaching or nearby mountains obstructing.
              Last edited by montcalm; 05-07-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Floodwood Road.

Pooch and I took a walk along Floodwood Rd yesterday (5/6).

Floodwood Road and the Floodwood Reserve PA are open.

Comment

None of the info I found online or in the ADK guide book mentioned it being a seasonal road - nor was it mentioned on the DEC website which usually lists seasonal road closures - so it's not something I was expecting to have to take into consideration.

I saw a sign that said road closed in 5 miles and my GPS said I had like 5.75 mi left so I turned around.

It wasn't a huge deal. There were enough trails around that I could figure out a Plan B. Just a long way to drive (2 1/4 hrs one way) to not do the hike you want.

Comment

I have never used a GPS myself, but based on the experiences of the people who use them to come here I would say they are not always very accurate at providing directions and distances, perhaps especially in less traveled areas.

Comment

I've found it pretty accurate for driving to trailheads.

Comment

Working...
                      X