Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Head, Help!!

Hello,

I have spent time hiking the 9 peaks some far but nothing like Indian head yet.
    I was looking to have a couple quick questions answered. First, what is the estimated time for hiking Indian head? I have read about 4.2 miles.
    Secondly, which is the prettier of the two to see on Indian head, sunrise or sunset? Looking to propose there in late July.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum KB!

IMO I would hike it early to catch the sunrise. I'm thinking you may not see much of the sunset with Sawteeth looming on the W bank.

Definitely descend the short trail over to Fish Hawk Cliffs. It's initially steep, however, it levels off nicely until you reach FHC. Take Gill Brook back to the road and you'll see some excellent flumes.

You're close on your mileage estimate. RT is 10.5 ~ miles if you add FHC.
    "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
    Seeking grace in every step he takes
    His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
    The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Comment

I think of the main view as southwest so I thought sunset right away, but Bucknut is right about Sawteeth. I've never been there either sunrise or set. I'll be curious to see what others say.

Comment

There is a good view at the east end of the Indian Head ridge. It faces northeast, so this time of the year there should be a good view of the sun rising over Hopkins. Shortest approach would be via the Gill Brook Cut-Off and then take the next right. Then finish with a hike to the "true" Indian Head and a return via Fish Hawk Cliffs.
        Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Comment

Great Falls Loop

Here is a 12.5 mile loop if you would like to add on Cathedral Rocks, Bear Run, Pyramid Falls, Wedge Brook Falls, Beaver Meadow Falls, Lost Lookout, and Rainbow Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalanchePass View Post
            Here is a 12.5 mile loop if you would like to add on Cathedral Rocks, Bear Run, Pyramid Falls, Wedge Brook Falls, Beaver Meadow Falls, Lost Lookout, and Rainbow Falls.
            This is a hike we're considering during our visit in September.

I routed using the OSM trails where available, but the West River trail isn't available in OSM. When OSM wasn't available I traced the USGS scans by hand. So I assume the hike is longer than the 12.1 miles suggested by my map.

Does anyone have a guess as to how long this hike actually is? Or a better tool I could use to determine the distance?

Thanks,
            AP
            Last edited by AvalanchePass; 08-08-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The ADK High Peaks Guidebook (yes, a physical paper document) is the best resource and will answer all your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
                The ADK High Peaks Guidebook (yes, a physical paper document) is the best resource and will answer all your questions.
                And the newest ADK High Peaks map actually shows distance markers on the trails too, so I'd suggest buying the book and map combo package.

Comment

Working...
                X