No announcement yet.

New Member, Almost 46er, Saying Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, Almost 46er, Saying Hello!

Hi!

This is only the second forum I have ever belonged to and I am excited to be here. I moved to the Adirondacks to be a Summit Steward in the spring of 2013. After a wonderful season of stewarding, I had fallen completely in love with the region (I came from Vermont, and prior to that, Tennessee). I lucked into a full time job near Saranac Lake, and have been here ever since.

I never had any intention of becoming a 46er. "Peak bagging" is not something I've ever seen a point in personally. I've always enjoyed long distance hiking though, and meeting goals therein - the only trail I've thru-hiked is Vermont's Long Trail, and I've done roughly half of the Appalachian in various sections. At any rate, I was spending the night at Panther Gorge recently on a weeks vacation, and realized I had hiked 36 of the high peaks. At that point, I decided I'd like to go ahead and finish them up, why not

I took to the Sewards last weekend (well, MY weekend, which is Mon/Tue). Monday, I did Seward, Donaldson and Emmons, and it was quite lovely - roughly 6 inches of snow up top. Tuesday I hiked Seymour. This upcoming weekend I intend to do the Santononis. The following, Mt. Allen. And I plan to finish on Street and Nye as a winter hike later on.

I really love these mountains like I've never loved mountains before. The trails are fun and challenging, the views are dramatic and expansive. I have found immense beauty on every trail and every peak - even the ones that get a bad rep. I enjoy forested summits for their tranquility as much as I enjoy alpine summits for their 360 degree views.

Anyway, I'm really just introducing myself and hope this is a decent place to do so. If anybody is out hiking the Santononis this Mon or Tues we may cross paths

I hope everybody is well, and wish you all happy trails. See you around

Hi Sloth, welcome. I'm fairly new here as well, and everyone seems very nice an extremely knowledgable. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome Sloth! Have fun on your final 10. Looking forward to reading your trip reports
      "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
      Seeking grace in every step he takes
      His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
      The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Comment

"They call me the sloth...
        (Way down in the ghetto)
        Italian Spaghetti...
        (Singing falsetto)
        Sleeping all day...
        (Rip Van Winklin')
        Spend my nights in bars...
        (Glasses tinklin')"

Welcome Sloth.

Comment

Welcome Sloth,

You will find many good sportsmen and sports ladies here as well. Many are experts at hiking, fishing, hunting, and some raconteuring. Most folks here are friendly as well as knowledgeable and this site is a great place for learning. The ADK's offer some of the most enjoyable outdoor activities to be found with challenges and scenery, flora and fauna to rival the best in the world. Welcome to our family.
          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Sloth, You grace our presence with your enthusiasm. Plethora of knowledgeable and giving people here. Welcome!
            "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              "They call me the sloth...
              (Way down in the ghetto)
              Italian Spaghetti...
              (Singing falsetto)
              Sleeping all day...
              (Rip Van Winklin')
              Spend my nights in bars...
              (Glasses tinklin')"

Welcome Sloth.
              Beat me to it Justin...
              “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Welcome. Great virtual community here!
                Exploring the US one mountain at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
                  Beat me to it Justin...

http://youtu.be/yJBUQAjfBPA

Comment

Came in here to Italian Spaghetti. Y'all are quick. Welcome Sloth!

Comment

Originally posted by crepuscular View Post
                      Came in here to Italian Spaghetti. Y'all are quick.
                      Herbivorous, Crepuscular!

Comment

Working...
                      X