Recommended nighttime hikes in the ADKs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended nighttime hikes in the ADKs

Hi everyone and thanks for reading. I was curious as to suggestions for nighttime summer hikes within an easy drive from the New York capital region -- say, the southern Adirondacks or Lake George region, or even northern Berkshires. I know some people hike the Saratoga battle park at night, but I was looking for something more moderately challenging ... a destination with some ridgeline walking, for instance. I've done night hikes in places like Monadnock in New Hampshire where there is ample space above treeline ... anything similar in this area? The guide books list plenty of possibilities, of course, but it's hard to get an idea from them how much is above/below the typical northern hardwood foliage of the warm season. Thanks!
    Last edited by wjgood3; 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM. Reason: clarification

Cat mt near LG...

Comment

Buck and Prospect are both nice at night. On night summits, it's fun to get a good view of town lights.

Comment

Hadley, Kane, Goodluck, and Panther Mountains (Echo Cliff) come to mind. All are easy hikes that have south to easterly views, which might make for a pleasant late night/early morning hike.
        Of course, if you like to bushwhack, other options come to mind also......

Comment

I like The Lynn LaMontagne Schumann Preserve at Pilot Knob at night . It's a short hike to the top...where there is a gazebo... and a nice lookout over Lake George but there are other trails that connect for more exploring. Nearby Pilot knob Mt. has a rocky top and lots of open space ...

Comment

Looking for open ridge and a full moon or just an open summit for star-gazing. Thinking Moxham might fit the bill, no tough footing, several open ledges along the ridge not too long.

Comment

Thanks for the timely suggestions, everyone! When I saw names like Hadley and Buck written, I slapped my forehead and said, "Of course!" Thanks again!

Comment

If you are not opposed to the drive, you could try Bald Peak in the High Peaks region from Route 9n. You can have a great view in most directions, mainly south towards the high Peaks and east towards Vermont. The west view is dominated by Rocky Peak Ridge and Giant Mountain, and the north view can be seen by walking around a bit on the summit and on the approach scrambles. It is quite rocky and open. Probably rather enjoyable at night. The only problem I would imagine is the short starting portion in the hemlock grove, so it would require a little attention. Plus the Bald Peak/Rocky Peak Ridge trailhead is not that far of a drive of the Northway, maybe fifteen or twenty minutes. Another hike is Wright Peak (a 46er) which is about the same mileage as Bald but a little more out of the way. Honestly, Wright is one of my favorite High Peaks. Very open and rocky summit. Google should provide you with pictures from the daytime if you're interested. And directions. Both are in the ball park of 7 miles I believe and not that different in elevation gain and loss. Trails are easy to follow, but Wright might be easier to hike at night because the area has much more traffic.

Hope this helped. If you desire not to hike them at night or haven't hiked them yet, I would highly recommend then.

Comment

Hadley as already mentioned. We have used Hadley for as a shakedown hike for many Winters, new hikers and for your purpose it might be just right. Very little mud, easy trail to follow and a rocky top to hang out at and, hopefully, do some star gazing. Pay attention to how to go back on the trail in your excitement when you first approach the bare rock summit. Fun to see a sunrise there. I can't recall any hazardous cliffs.

Comment

Working...
                  X