Tips on a good mountain for breaking in my girlfriend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on a good mountain for breaking in my girlfriend

My lady decided she wants to hike a mountain this spring. Looking for something bigger and harder than bald mountain in old forge, she's done that and it would be nice for something more challenging but not too intense that it turns her off of hiking. Thanks for any help.

Try Snowy Mtn. Shorter distance, nice climb, and great views from the ground or the fire tower.

Comment

Snowy is ok. But it's only a few hundred feet short of being a high peak, and it's 8 miles round trip (longer than some of the High Peaks hikes), so its significantly longer and harder than Bald Mountain. It's definitely one of the tougher fire tower peaks. I'd make sure you get an early start and plan for it to be a full day.

If you want a more gradual increase in difficulty from Bald Mountain, any of the following might work:

St. Regis Mountain- 6 miles round trip, spectacular views of the High Peaks and the St. Regis Canoe area.

Hurricane Mountain- 6 miles round trip, spectacular views of the High Peaks and Keene Valley

Blue Mountain- 4 miles round trip (but steep!), spectacular views of the High Peaks and the central Adirondacks.

Goodnow Mountain- 4 miles round trip, spectacular views of the High Peaks.

Owls Head Mountain- 6 miles round trip, spectacular views of the Central Adirondacks.

Hadley Mountain- 4 miles round trip, spectacular views of the Southern Adirondacks.

Black Mountain- 6 miles round trip (with an option for an 8 mile loop that visits a couple of scenic ponds), spectacular views of Lake George, the Eastern Adirondacks, and Vermont.

If you haven't already, purchasing the ADK Firetower Mountain Guidebook would be a good idea. For the most part, the fire tower peaks offer great views on hikes that are less difficult than the High Peaks.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Sawyer Mt is an easy climb, as is Coney Mt...but these two are far apart. Are you looking for climbs in a specific area? I always recommend Chimney Mt., it's an easy climb and the top of the mountain is covered with caves to play in.

Comment

Hadley Mountain, she won't end up thinking you are trying to kill her with hiking. Snowy is very steep and slippery with gravel in some places, most people new to hiking, will fall a couple of times scraping their knees on the way up or elbows on the way down.

Comment

I would recommend Hadley as well. Depending on her fitness level though it may not feel harder than Bald Mt. just longer.

Black Bear Mt. is much more of a challenge than Bald and in the same area.

You may already be well aware of this, but depending on when you head out in spring there's a chance there could be ice up high on a lot of these mountains.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to pick through these and let her decide. Thanks again, I'm pretty excited she's decided to try it out.

Comment

+1 for the reccomendation of Black Mtn in the LGWF.
                Are you in possession of all of your marbles?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Comment

Remove the word "in" from the title of this thread and the meaning changes 180 degrees.
                  The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                    Remove the word "in" from the title of this thread and the meaning changes 180 degrees.
                    A few minor changes in the body of the post would also yield some humor.
                    “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                    ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                      A few minor changes in the body of the post would also yield some humor.

Looking for something bigger and harder to break in your girlfriend?
                      Hmmm...let's see...what comes to mind...??
                      I'll suggest maybe Vanderwhacker Mtn, or the new trail up Moxham Mtn.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post

Looking for something bigger and harder to break in your girlfriend?
                        Hmmm...let's see...what comes to mind...??
                        I'll suggest maybe Vanderwhacker Mtn, or the new trail up Moxham Mtn.

Justin,

Some kind of Freudian slip??!!

Comment

+1 on the Blue Mountain. BUT Cascade is what gave us the climbing bug!!!
                          “Sometimes when you lose your way, you find YOURSELF.”
                          - Mandy Hale -

ADK's HIGH PEAKS
                          Round 1 - 46/46-R :bang:
                          Round 1 - 17/46-W

Saranac Lake 6er
                          6/6-R
                          6/6-W

Comment

I'd recommend Ampersand Mountain. Excellent views for the effort expended and when you're done, you can hike a short trail on the opposite side of the road and swim in Lower (I think) Saranac Lake.

Comment

My wife and I discussed what I did wrong 39, 38,and 37 years ago. What was a easy for me was very difficult for her - ice on trail. Another time she did not like the bugs - she could hear them in the car with the engine on while I fished, got one on almost every cast, we were within 500 feet of a very big swamp. I also did not make walking in mud fun - she was wearing newer shoes and pants.....

Comment

Working...
                              X