Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off season camping

Hi
    Looking for a Public Campsite in the ADK for late fall with a small travel trailer.
    I believe Fish Creek is the only place open past the typical Columbus Day weekend closing.
    But it does appear some sites may be unofficially available, for example Golden Beach and the Indian lake roadside sites.
    We don't need any facilities, just a spot to camp before we put the rig up for the season.
    I don't have a four wheel drive.

Thanks for any info

So if you don't need any facilities and any roadside site will do, there are plenty of sites available throughout the park. Some that I know of are by Cedar river flow, by the dam if the mud gates are already closed for the season. Moose River Plains, if the mud gates aren't closed yet.
    Horseshoe lake by Lows lake and a couple on the road into Lows dam.
    Floodwood road.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/82098.html
    Last edited by electbc; 10-04-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

electbc,
      I don't know why I didn't think of Moose River Plains, getting old I guess

Thank you for the link; lots of info there

Comment

Natural Atlas is another good one. https://naturalatlas.com/map/@43.820517,-73.621101,15z

The DEC has an interactive one ... https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/index.html?REC
        Last edited by electbc; 10-04-2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Relevant info as the OP mentioned that they don't have 4WD and Moose River Plains was specifically recommended: NYSDEC regulations dictate that after October 1st, either 4WD or possession of tire chains is mandatory for any vehicle entering the Moose River Plains.

I believe that some of the roadside sites at Mason Lake near Speculator are accessible to camper trailers.

One or two of the roadside sites on the way into the Deer Pond access to the Essex Chain can accommodate a camper trailer (most of these sites, however, are park and walk-in sites).

In addition to the aforementioned Floodwood Road, there are camper trailer accessible sites at Mountain Pond and on Slush Pond Road on the opposite side of Route 30.

I believe at least a few of the sites on Corey's Road on the way into the Seward Range/Western High Peaks trailhead are camper trailer accessible.

There are camper trailer accessible sites along North Point Road on the way into the north end of Raquette Lake from Long Lake.

I think the Powley-Piseco Road in southern Hamilton County has a few designated roadside campsites that are camper trailer accessible (but it's admittedly been years since I've driven this road so my memory here is a bit hazy).

There's roadside sites along both Northwoods Club Road and Moose Pond Club Road, at least a few of which can accommodate camper trailers. However, note that the Moose Pond Club Road is currently closed to public motor vehicle access.

There's 2 roadside sites along the Blue Ridge Road in Minerva that can accommodate camper trailers.
          Last edited by DSettahr; 10-04-2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Dsettahr,
            Thank you for the heads up on MRP restrictions.

I will look into some of your other suggestions
            Thanks

Comment

FYI the 13 primative campsites in the Shelving Rock/Dacy clearing area are tent only. This area has special regulations that are more restrictive than typical wild forest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob K View Post
                FYI the 13 primative campsites in the Shelving Rock/Dacy clearing area are tent only. This area has special regulations that are more restrictive than typical wild forest.
                Thanks for that heads up- like I said in my post my memory on this area was a bit hazy. In any case I've removed mention of it from the post.

Comment

about 10 of the 15 sites on powley piseco rd are good for travel trailers...

Comment

MoodyBlues

Ive never been on that road, would you recommend coming in from a particular direction?
                    thanks

Comment

• MoodyBlues
                      MoodyBlues commented
                      Editing a comment
                      sorry for the late response...
                      coming from the north, you'll get to sites quicker, coming from the south you'll hafta do about 8 miles of rd before the first sites. was up there the 15th, every site was available.

Just to follow up, we ended up camping at Fish Creek Ponds 10/10 and 10/11, I think.
                    It was nice weather.
                    they had about 75 sites open, less than 1/2 were occupied mid-week.

while in the area we scoped out Floodwood road which was nice, I saw at least 5 sites I would/could camp on

however at least 4 of those sites had campers parked on them, with no one around.
                    Maybe set up for hunting season. One set up looked almost permanent.​

Comment

Originally posted by gene43t View Post
                      Just to follow up, we ended up camping at Fish Creek Ponds 10/10 and 10/11, I think.
                      It was nice weather.
                      they had about 75 sites open, less than 1/2 were occupied mid-week.

while in the area we scoped out Floodwood road which was nice, I saw at least 5 sites I would/could camp on

however at least 4 of those sites had campers parked on them, with no one around.
                      Maybe set up for hunting season. One set up looked almost permanent.​
                      They were probably permit hunting camps.

You need a permit to occupy a primitive campsite for more than 3 consecutive nights in the Adirondacks. Most of the year, even with a permit you are limited to a maximum of 2 weeks per site. However, during hunting season in Autumn, you can get a permit to maintain a campsite for the entirety of the big game season- so typically mid-September through early December. Especially once the post-Columbus Day season hits and the regular deer season opens up, it's not uncommon to see camper trailers and canvas wall tents occupying choice roadside campsites for most of the remainder of hunting season.

If you looked closely, most of those campers probably had a permit taped in one of the windows.

And yes, this is definitely a consideration that should've probably been mentioned... some roadside tenting areas can be pretty popular for this purpose, and it can be tricky trying to find an open/unoccupied roadside primitive campsite particularly during the period from mid-October through early December.

Comment

On the topic of permit hunting camps- Anyone know if I'm likely to encounter them on St.Regis Pond? I'm heading there for the first time this coming week and was thinking we'd likely run into no one else or at the least very few others at this time of year. I didn't think about those hunting camps. Considering that everything would have to be brought in by canoe and over at least 1 long portage it seems unlikely. But a couple of years ago I encountered several of them on the Raquette River, which was a surprise to me.

Comment

Originally posted by madison View Post
                          On the topic of permit hunting camps- Anyone know if I'm likely to encounter them on St.Regis Pond? I'm heading there for the first time this coming week and was thinking we'd likely run into no one else or at the least very few others at this time of year. I didn't think about those hunting camps. Considering that everything would have to be brought in by canoe and over at least 1 long portage it seems unlikely. But a couple of years ago I encountered several of them on the Raquette River, which was a surprise to me.
                          I do know that even the backcountry of the St. Regis Canoe Area gets permit hunting camps, so it's possible that you might see 1 or 2 on St. Regis Pond. I'd be mildly surprised if you encountered so many of them that finding an open tent site was a challenge, though.

Much of the Raquette River is open to motorboats so it's fairly easy for folks to haul stuff in for their permit hunting camps with minimal effort.

Comment

I spoke to the ranger for Little Tupper today. He told me there's one hunting camp there at site Outdoors Related Discussion
                            "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                            - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                            X