Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hi, everyone. New member here. My husband and I live in central Vermont, and our main form of recreation is going to the outdoors: hiking, backpacking, car camping, canoeing, etc.

We have done quite a bit of backpacking in Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, but more and more I am finding that the Adirondacks are the place I most like to go. There are more trails, and more places that are lakes, streams, and forests instead of nothing but ultra-steep mountains. (Sometimes I am in the mood for mountains, sometimes a quiet camp on a lake.)

We tend to avoid the High Peaks and go to the quieter corners of the park, mainly in the eastern half. Our most recent trip was backpacking the Bennett/Middle/Murphy Lake trail in Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.

I have already learned a lot from reading past posts on this forum, and I hope to keep learning and sharing.

VermontDacker

Welcome to the forum.

Murphy Lake was my first backpacking trip in 1976. I go back every chance I get. Love the "off the beaten path" areas in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest. So much to explore.
    Tick Magnet

Comment

Welcome

Don't underestimate the western part of the park. You'll find that there are plenty of places to see new things no matter where you go.

Comment

We're heading out to the Fulton Chain on our next trip. I'm very interested in exploring the Pigeon Lake WA.

The western part of the park can be a long drive from Vermont, so that can be limiting.

Comment

Make sure to explore the Hammond Pond Wild Forest. Beautiful area, close to you, generally very quiet.

Comment

Western Adirondack Info:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/106196.html
            https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7795.html
            https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8282.html

Enjoy the generally less crowded region!
            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Thanks, Wldrns! I'm planning to follow in your footsteps and do some bushwhacking eventually. I like the paths less traveled.

TCD, yes, Hammond Pond WF is very close. We checked out a couple of trailheads there last time we passed through, but haven't had time to hike them yet.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I also tend to recreate in the quieter corners. See you on the trail. -dT
                "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

Howdy VermontDacker! I was briefly in your state last week. Really enjoyed the Mill Trail in Stowe. Very low-key compared to other places in that area with impressive natural sights. Check it out if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed!

In the Adirondacks, the Taylor Pond Wild Forest isn't terribly far from Vermont and offers an unbeatable combination of scenery and solitude. I spent a few hours there last week and didn't see a soul. Included some pics from my visit below.

In Plattsburgh, the beach at Cumberland Bay State Park has an outstanding view with the Green and Adirondack mountains in the backdrop. That's less of a wilderness experience, but is worth a stop if you're ever up that way. Close to where the ferry lets off in NY and not too crowded when I went.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    Last edited by hikingandwildex; 10-11-2022, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X