Blackflies 2022!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackflies 2022!

Alright, folks... time is precious before the insect apocalypse... feel free to share any recent reconnaissance info to share regarding the status of black flies in different corners of the park. I'm hoping to get a night or two in this weekend, even if I need to bathe in garlic first!

May 14-15 black flies in West Canada Lakes. A few mosquitos too.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

southwestern Adirondacks, mosquitoes were especially vicious yesterday after the recent hot humid weather. Black flies were out the week prior. Earliest black flies tend to annoy rather than bite, but the biting species are hatched out now.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

May 19th plenty of black flies in the Five Ponds Wilderness, and biting.

Comment

Plenty of black flies in Ferris Lakes WF and they are beginning to bite.
          Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Wilcox Lake Wild Forest:
            belligerent-and-numerous.jpg
            Tick Magnet

Comment

Been out turkey hunting in the Lake George area and it's been warm. More mosquitoes than black flies, so far.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Black flies were ferocious along the shores of Siamese Ponds and on the nearby peaks this past Saturday, but no issue on the trail in/out.

Comment

RULE OF THUMB: Black flies always from Mother's day to Father's day.

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......

Comment

On Saturday, 5/21, I hiked partway up the North Trail to Giant. Insects weren't too bad, but I wore long sleeves and pants. The heat bothered me more. Then came the rain...

Comment

Get ready, the deer flies are starting here on Tug Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
                        Get ready, the deer flies are starting here on Tug Hill.
                        Saw our first two today!
                        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Cedar River Flow 5/28-29 Swarmed but low biting

We were swarmed but I do not have a lot of bites to show for it. Cleared up a bit on the remain flow, away from the fast-moving water which I understand is their breeding ground
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Cold River country May 28-30th, blackflies have been replaced with mosquitos.
                            "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

So what you guys are saying is that it is black fly season again this spring?
                              And mosquitoes and deer flies are also starting to come out now too as the weather gets warmer?
                              Whoa? weird!

Comment

Working...
                              X