Blackflies 2022!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tenderfoot View Post
    We were swarmed but I do not have a lot of bites to show for it. Cleared up a bit on the remain flow, away from the fast-moving water which I understand is their breeding ground
    They breed in fast-moving water but they travel loooong distances in their quest for blood (horizontal and vertical distances).

Comment

So true..
      Attached Files
      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Lol!

Comment

Buckladd, it’s funny, but probably true. Black flies, deer flies and mosquitos , probably do more to protect wilderness from the masses than anything else. The fact Old Forge and other communities spray and use bti to promote tourism is proof.

Comment

Tuesday was the worst day for me so far this year. Downtown Piercefield had black flies, mosquitos and deer flies all biting, and I was building a woodshed so I didn't have a hand free to swat them sometimes. I have more black fly bites than I've ever had at once before, somewhere around 100-200 at a guess.

Comment

I think the Blackflies might be done with in the Southern Adirondacks. Just got back from a few days at Nelson Lake and they were pretty bad Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but by Friday and today (Saturday) they were gone.
              Last edited by Jwojcik1990; 06-04-2022, 08:15 PM.
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
              In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
              And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
              But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
              ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

I don't believe it. it is far too early for them to depart so soon. I was out working today (Saturday), in the SW Adirondacks (Woodgate area), temperature was very comfortable in the low 60's and quite windy, thankfully keeping most bugs away. Had a number of blackflies, more mosquitoes.
                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

You are probably right, it is really early. It just seemed like they totally dried up and disappeared yesterday morning. We fished all day Friday and a good chunk of today without seeing any.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
                  In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
                  And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
                  But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
                  ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

Several years ago, on a beautiful Memorial Day camping weekend I was guiding a scout troop in what would otherwise be the height of black fly season, and we didn't have a single biting fly the entire time in the North Lake area (Herkimer County). Not windy, not cold. Such a disappointment. The next week they were back to normal. I did not understand it then, still do not.
                    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                      Several years ago, on a beautiful Memorial Day camping weekend I was guiding a scout troop in what would otherwise be the height of black fly season, and we didn't have a single biting fly the entire time in the North Lake area (Herkimer County). Not windy, not cold. Such a disappointment. The next week they were back to normal. I did not understand it then, still do not.
                      Indeed.........it's a temporary lull. yesterday with the dry, crisp conditions with plenty of wind, they were nearly non-existent in my area north of Stratford. Don't worry - they won't disappoint us. They'll BE BACK.
                      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

One of my most memorable (if you want to call it that) black fly experiences was on July 4 weekend, roughly 15 years ago. A bunch of us paddled Cedar River Flow. We stopped at a campsite on the river, not far from the lean-to, and just couldn't take it. Things were fine out on the flow, but otherwise they were swarming. One woman we saw in a canoe had her face covered with bites, we felt so sorry for her. Another time was around Memorial Day coming down between Dix and Hough peaks. Just brutal, clouds of black flies.
                        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Old Tyme Woodsman. A friend and I were out on Little Tupper a few years ago, each in our solo canoes. I was trying to avoid the black cloud around my head by slathering with Ben's DEET, while my buddy was wearing OTW. When sitting still, he nad nothing anywhere near his boat , like an invisibile barrier surrounding him, while I was swatting and trying to paddle fast to get away. Even that seeems highly variable, sometimes it works, other times not so much. Research will show that the formula for OTW has changed significantly from the original formula that my dad used and I know worked well many years ago. Probalby due to one of those special California cancer risk warning scares.

Comment

Will have to try OTW
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                              Indeed.........it's a temporary lull. yesterday with the dry, crisp conditions with plenty of wind, they were nearly non-existent in my area north of Stratford. Don't worry - they won't disappoint us. They'll BE BACK.
                              I'm in Stratford . How were they ? May be coming up Sunday and heading north to Lake Placid .

Comment

Black Flies where thick on top of Santanoni yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X