Redhawk "The Resident Curmudgeon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redhawk "The Resident Curmudgeon"

It is with a heavy heart I report that longtime forum member, "the resident curmudgeon" Redhawk has passed away.

Many of us had the opportunity to meet Redhawk at his place in Wells when he would host forum gatherings many years ago. For some of us we met through Redhawk.

I know I will always cherish the too little time I spent with him and the stories & wisdom he shared with me.

Walk on in the happy hunting ground my friend.

-Russ
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

I never met Redhawk, but I had discussions and debates with him here on the forum, and I respected him. His spirit will carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
      I never met Redhawk, but I had discussions and debates with him here on the forum, and I respected him. His spirit will carry on.
      Same with me. What a great guy and important character he was for many of us. May the Lakota spirit of Hawk Viittles live on forever.
      Last edited by Wldrns; 02-26-2022, 07:19 PM.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I met him a few times..........and we carried on with some spirited debates.

He is with the Great Father in the sky.
        Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

I met him once very briefly years ago- as I recall it was in the backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, in the summer of either 2008 or 2009. Our interaction was fairly brief, but he made sure to share a verbal advertisement for Hawk Vittles. RIP.

Comment

Wondered what became of him. I missed his posts and whit. RIP
            Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I haven't heard from him in years, Last time I saw him was at Gary Deans party

Obituary of William Redhawk | Funeral Homes & Cremation Services | ... (brbsfuneral.com)

Comment

Sorry to hear of his passing. I never met him in person, but enjoyed reading his posts on here. He seemed to be a very interesting and wise character. I've also enjoyed his "Hawk Vittles" on some of my excursions. May he RIP
                "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
                My pictures:
                https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Sad to hear, he was a cool guy. I really enjoyed his perspective.
                  His Hawk Vittles were the impetus behind me starting to dry my own meals.
                  Only time I met him in person was at Gary’s place…

Comment

Many of his perspectives radiated a strong light. He was a great attribute to this forum. I am glad to have read him. Taŋy?ŋ om?ni!
                    "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Never met him, ate some of his food, read some of his posts. RIP Hawk!

Comment

Over the past years the only freeze dried food I took backpacking was from him. I was just about to order some more for this coming spring's trip. I believe that I once read that he was working with someone to take Vittles over? Maybe that was just me hoping.
                        Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by rbi99 View Post
                          Over the past years the only freeze dried food I took backpacking was from him. I was just about to order some more for this coming spring's trip. I believe that I once read that he was working with someone to take Vittles over? Maybe that was just me hoping.
                          Hawk started his backpacker's camp food production business by a simple fairly inexpensive home dehydration process, with numerous Hawk Vittles recipes made directly from a book authored by Linda Yaffe using an inexpensive dehydrator. I did the same for myself, guides, and Boy Scouts, but did not turn my efforts into a successful famous money making business like he did so well.

Before he left Wells he did offer his equipment to me if I wanted it, maybe to other people too, but I did not need it, so as far as I knew he continued on with producing and selling Hawk Vittles simply dehydrated as it always was. I did not know that he was ever using the freeze-drying process to produce anything. Maybe he later branched out into that much more expensive process, I do not know.
                          Last edited by Wldrns; 02-27-2022, 01:52 PM.
                          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Yes, if anyone hears that the company is being continued, please post it. Not only were the items tasty, but I loved the single-serving option.

Comment

Originally posted by rickhart View Post
                              Yes, if anyone hears that the company is being continued, please post it. Not only were the items tasty, but I loved the single-serving option.
                              You can make your own Hawk Vittles, at least his early recipes, directly from:

https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gour...s%2C365&sr=8-3

The great thing about Linda Yaffe's first recipe book, is even though some of the dishes and titles may sound strange to read, when you actually make them, not only are they great food, they easily lead you to trying your own variations, which is what Hawk did to produce a variety of more advanced meals.
                              Last edited by Wldrns; 02-27-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X