No announcement yet.

Best hikes for fall color photography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hikes for fall color photography?

Best hikes for fall color photography?

Particularly the High Peaks (only because I know the color is at it's best there now and I am going up for a few days tomorrow).

Probably lower elevation peaks and hills, not far above valley floors such as Mount Jo and Mount Van Hoevenberg.

Just trying to think of ideas. Got a new camera and lens to experiment with.

Thanks.

Oh, OK. Thank you!

Comment

We were up on Owls Head in Keene last week and saw some color stating to show. Did Ha-Ba-Sa on Thursday and not much to write home about up there in regards to foliage. Over all the leaves have not been spectacular this year. Maybe the cooler temps over the last few days may help.

Comment

Alright, I have made some phone calls and I saw the other fall color thread. Is it fair to say that the consensus is that it is not worth driving many hours to the High Peaks for fall color viewing and photographing this year?

Maybe I could wait a week and see if southern Adirondacks / lower elevations fair better?

Please chime in because I'd like to make a decision based on some information.

Comment

Hiked Peaked on 13th Lake yesterday. About 20% color.

Comment

This is Rock Lake (near Blue Mt) from Thursday.

Comment

Saunders Mountain in the Dix was a memorable one.

Comment

Today, the foliage colors in the Saranac Lake/ Bloomingdale area were starting to get brighter. Had a great day hiking around Moose Pond.

Comment

I was in Newcomb today...I would wait....saw better color in Cranberry Lake 10days ago...was on Whiteface Wed and not much there......oh well at least it is starting to cool down now....

Comment

I think the New Russia TH to Bald Mt and RPR is an amazing trail in the fall. Have fun!
                    "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
                    Seeking grace in every step he takes
                    His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
                    The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Comment

Pharaoh Lake had spots, really individual trees along the shore, but from Treadway there were large areas of great color between it and Pharaoh Mtn. Still quite a bit of green as well. Driving home I took Rt. 8 all the way to Utica and it got much more colorful west of the Hudson. I decided it was worth going up Panther above Piseco Lake and that was a fine choice, lots of red and orange below the cliffs to the lake.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Banjoe View Post
                        Pharaoh Lake had spots...
                        Agreed, some nice colors over at Crane this past weekend also.
                        Photos are posted over on facebook.
                        Last edited by Justin; 10-10-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Catamount on the backside of Whiteface was very colorful today 10/10.https://www.facebook.com/jeff.tabor....=3&pnref=story

Comment

Working...
                          X