Nice article - ADK's vs. White's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice article - ADK's vs. White's

I thought this was a quick, interesting read - The Adirondacks and Whites, a contrast of mountain ranges

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/opini...ountain-ranges
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    --Hunter Thompson

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Major blooper near the beginning. They say the Adirondacks are more ancient, while the Whites are newer. I think they're confusing the age of the rock in the ADKS, which is very old, with the mountains themselves, uplifted far more recently. Maybe a geologist will correct me, but I think that the Whites are much older.

Comment

Good article. I've hiked in both areas, the Adirondacks and the Whites, and I have this observation: trailhead parking for four thousand footers is more plentiful in the Whites. Of course, that's not necessarily a good thing, as the trails in the Whites get overcrowded just as in the Adirondacks.

Comment

Whites: more open vistas, more people, more and better trails, less wild more views of ski resorts, roads etc.
          Dacks: wilder, less views, more remote, bad trails.

I thought the author overstated (hyperbolic adjectives and descriptors) the difficulty of the ADK hiking.
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
            I thought the author overstated (hyperbolic adjectives and descriptors) the difficulty of the ADK hiking.
            Me too until it dawned on me that he and his friend must be hobbits. How else can one explain encountering "knee-deep" mud and "scrambling with their hands" up to Nippletop from Elk Pass?

Of course, it's just a theory.
            Looking for views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
              Me too until it dawned on me that he and his friend must be hobbits. How else can one explain encountering "knee-deep" mud and "scrambling with their hands" up to Nippletop from Elk Pass?

Of course, it's just a theory.
              Or they're just bad at hiking.
              http://edthesmokebeard.com/

Comment

Working...
              X