Golden Beach Campground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Beach Campground

Considering a quick trip with the family...does anyone recommend this campsite and/or specific sites? I would be open to other campgrounds in the area as well. Thanks.
    http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

I wouldn't say it is one of my favorite.

Comment

I was there once. Sites were close together and quite a bit of noise. A lot of kids running around. I would opt for either Lake Eaton or Lake Harris. Lake Harris does not have a bathing beach if that is of importance. But it is very quiet.

Comment

Golden Beach is terrible. It's basically a parking lot in the main section. Very few trees for privacy. The side roads are more private, but still a squeeze. The beach itself is OK, but not great. The bathing area is small and there are motor boats and jet skis beached during busy times. I've never stayed there, but I have visited and it was one of, if not the worst, DEC campground I've ever been to.

There are sites that you can drive in right from 28 and that are on the water. They seem a bit more private but they'll be noisy being right near the highway.

In that area 8th Lake, Limekiln and Brown's Tract are far better. Limekiln has a nice beach with a lifeguard. Brown's Tract and 8th Lake do not have guards but they are swimable. Brown's Tract is much nicer IMO.

Comment

My wife and I like Golden Beach, but we always go in June before school is out and don't camp anywhere unless we have a water sight. We were just there in June, the weekend it snowed in the high peaks. With that, there are three decent sites (157, 157A, 158) north of the bath house and a few others (108, 109, 111, 113) to the south of the beach that are on the water and wooded. However, my bet is they're booked solid. Good luck finding a water site (if that's your wish) anywhere between now and Labor Day. But, you never know, especially if you go mid-week. Other nearby campgrounds are Lake Durant, Eighth Lake, Limekiln and Nicks Lake.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...=NY&parkId=642

We just got back a few hours ago from a nice weekend in Cranberry Lake, which is one of our favorites. Things are quiet up there in the Northern Adirondacks.
          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I just cancelled a water site on Brown tract, pond site # 34. It is now available from Sunday July 24 til check out the following Saturday! It's a really nice spot at a great campground...way nicer than Golden Beach. If you go, kayak to the island for some great swimming fun off huge glacial erratics!
            Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
              Golden Beach is terrible. It's basically a parking lot in the main section. Very few trees for privacy. The side roads are more private, but still a squeeze. The beach itself is OK, but not great. The bathing area is small and there are motor boats and jet skis beached during busy times. I've never stayed there, but I have visited and it was one of, if not the worst, DEC campground I've ever been to.

There are sites that you can drive in right from 28 and that are on the water. They seem a bit more private but they'll be noisy being right near the highway.

In that area 8th Lake, Limekiln and Brown's Tract are far better. Limekiln has a nice beach with a lifeguard. Brown's Tract and 8th Lake do not have guards but they are swimable. Brown's Tract is much nicer IMO.
              It's a mecca for the crowded masses from downstate.
              Think Coney Island.
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X