Adirondacks trail conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adirondacks trail conditions

Hi everyone, I haven't used a web site to look up trail conditions in a couple of years (due to a variety of reasons I haven't done any strenuous winter hiking for a couple of winters). I checked the web site I used to check, Views from the Top, but was surprised to see only one thread for the Adirondacks. On this site, I checked the Trip Reports, which had some nice reports on it, but surprisingly little information on iciness, high water crossings, blowdowns, etc. -- the information that would have been helpful for future hiking on a trail. Can anyone point me in the right direction for more substantial data on trail conditions in the north country?

I think the trip reports provide the best information. Yes they are limited in scope, but the conditions can change so abrubtly that any site claiming to have real data cannot possibly be accurate. A trip report which mentions the trail is rugged or wet is all that is necessary to plan. Even if a trail is described as smooth, dry and easy going can be wrong the day after a major storm. It is best to be prepared for blowdown, wet crossings, missing markers. A general sense of the conditions from a trip report will provide a gauge of how much of those obstacles to expect, but expect them all nonetheless.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

The "Adirondack Almanack" website issues a weekly conditions report... This week's should be posted later today, here's the one from last Thursday: http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...tml#more-59408

Or if you have any specific trails in mind you can always ask your questions here, or on the sister forum Adkhighpeaks.com and see if anyone has been in the region recently.
      Last edited by Justin; 03-10-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Adirondacks trail conditions

Participation of NY hikers at VFTT has declined in recent years. The ADKHIGHPEAKS.com forum is the best place for Adirondack and Catskill hiking information.

Currently, the range of conditions is broad. No snow and dry in Keene where I live, while the higher summits have 0 to many feet of snow. With the recent warming, most streams are high, but not flooding. Crossings may be easy or difficult, depending on location.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
          Participation of NY hikers at VFTT has declined in recent years. The ADKHIGHPEAKS.com forum is the best place for Adirondack and Catskill hiking information.
          Perhaps if you're climbing peaks or concentrating your efforts in the high peaks region ... not necessarily for many of the hikes taken by adkforum members.

There's definitely good information on this forum ... please don't disregard that or imply that this forum (& perhaps its members who post reports) is somehow "inferior" to that which might be found on the partner forum.
          sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Yeah!
            You tell him, Kev!
            This forum is way better!

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
              I think the trip reports provide the best information. Yes they are limited in scope, but the conditions can change so abrubtly that any site claiming to have real data cannot possibly be accurate. A trip report which mentions the trail is rugged or wet is all that is necessary to plan. Even if a trail is described as smooth, dry and easy going can be wrong the day after a major storm. It is best to be prepared for blowdown, wet crossings, missing markers. A general sense of the conditions from a trip report will provide a gauge of how much of those obstacles to expect, but expect them all nonetheless.
              Right on, Ducter!
              Boots on the ground is the best way.
              Trail conditions can change hourly.
              Be aware of local weather and plan your walk accordingly.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                The "Adirondack Almanack" website issues a weekly conditions report... This week's should be posted later today....

Here it is:
                http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...ks-mar-10.html

Comment

Originally posted by wjgood3 View Post
                  ... point me in the right direction for more substantial data on trail conditions in the north country?
                  As per JoeCedar's post, if you're looking for Trip Reports covering the Catskills and High Peaks then the sister forum http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums has it. It also has reports for other parts of the US.

Trip Reports
                  • High Peaks: 8020
                  • Catskill: 3025
                  • New England: 515
                  • Other: 1010

If you're looking for reports for the Adirondack Park, typically areas south of the High Peaks, then this forum has it.
                  Trip Reports: 2470

For coverage of hikes in New England, VFTT.org is your source.
                  Trip Reports: 10900

I hope you find what you need and enjoy your hike!
                  Looking for views!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies and the other links to check out.

JG

Comment

Working...
                    X