Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail to T-Lake Falls closed by DEC

Originally posted by DLHiker
    Why haven't they re-routed the trail to approach the bottom of T-Lake falls? Wouldn't that solve the danger?
    Ron
    The former Trail to T-Lake falls has been closed by the DEC. Anyone hikers attempting to use it may be cited and fined for violating the order closing the trail.

There have been several people killed there as the area around the falls is deceptively dangerous.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk
      The former Trail to T-Lake falls has been closed by the DEC. Anyone hikers attempting to use it may be cited and fined for violating the order closing the trail.

last time i went in ( about 5 years ago) the section of trail from T-lake to the falls had been abandoned but still fairly easy to follow.

i didn't know they're now fining people (or threatening to fine, anyways) for using the path.

thanks for the update, hawk.

that's too bad.
      like other people have said here, it can be dangerous if try to get too close, but if you use just a little caution it's a beautiful spot.

how many places in NY are there - where you can stand near a 300' waterfalls and not see another person, or even a sign of civilization ?
      Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
      www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk

There have been several people killed there as the area around the falls is deceptively dangerous.

Redhawk...FYI....The trial is closed, but one can not be fined if they choose to use what's left of the trail or if they bushwhack to the falls. The only way one could get fined is if they maintain or attempt clear the trail by cutting or moving anything on it.
        "If You Ain't the Lead Dog,
        The Scenery Never Changes"

(Age Old Yukon Saying)

Comment

Originally posted by Adkleaddog
          Redhawk...FYI....The trial is closed, but one can not be fined if they choose to use what's left of the trail or if they bushwhack to the falls. The only way one could get fined is if they maintain or attempt clear the trail by cutting or moving anything on it.
          I live right by Mark Kralovic who is a Forest ranger in this district and Bob Praczkajlo another ranger stops by my house quite a bit to talk about anything I have seen in the Silver lake Wilderness.

Based on recent conversations with them my understnding is that since the trail was closed by the DEC becasue of danger (and my understanding is that it is posted), that anyone caught in there will be cited.

Thats the information I have. I will check again with someone else if I can, I will not press either Bob or Mark on it since I would not question the information I got from a Ranger (leave alome two rangers). Perhaps you can do a little more investigating with your sources also and we'll see what we can find out.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

In speaking with the senior forester here (DEC), he gave to me that info...I'm not doubting what was told to you by any means....I'm not sure how info is conveyed in the field as well...It definetly needs to be checked out! Lets see what we can do! I'll do some more investigating!!
            "If You Ain't the Lead Dog,
            The Scenery Never Changes"

(Age Old Yukon Saying)

Comment

Working...
            X