X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil
    replied
    This thread is useless. Started as a rant and went downhill from there. Cars vs. bikes. Canoes vs. motor boats. Hikers vs. hunters. Cross-country skiers vs. snowshoers (who wreck their trails). Dog-lovers vs. dog-haters. I'm sure there are other opposed groups. With polarized arguments such as this nothing is ever resolved but people do end up walking away angry.

Leave a comment:

• montcalm
    replied
    Originally posted by bmike-vt View Post
    Which would make pigpen’s heart jumping pass illegal - especially into a blind corner.

But -

Really depends on the state - here in VT it is legal to cross a double yellow to pass a cyclist or other hazard so long as it is clear and safe. I believe Maine and NH updated their laws about passing when they passed the 3’ safe passing rule.

I would love to see drivers obey traffic laws as strictly as they would like to enforce them on cyclists and other road users.
    Regardless of that, even if you pass someone in a dashed passing zone and were to hit the car you are passing or the oncoming vehicle, it would be your fault. One must pass with caution and consideration of the vehicle that is being passed as well as oncoming traffic.

It's no different passing a bicycle as it is passing another vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• bmike-vt
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post
    "2. Keep the yellow line(s) on the left, unless it is safe to cross in order to pass something in your lane."

It is my understanding that you do not cross solid yellow lines for anything, only dashed yellow lines allow crossing to pass or overtake.
    Which would make pigpen’s heart jumping pass illegal - especially into a blind corner.

But -

Really depends on the state - here in VT it is legal to cross a double yellow to pass a cyclist or other hazard so long as it is clear and safe. I believe Maine and NH updated their laws about passing when they passed the 3’ safe passing rule.

I would love to see drivers obey traffic laws as strictly as they would like to enforce them on cyclists and other road users.

Leave a comment:

• Riosacandaga
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBeqLtYRQ7k

Wait for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5vOkkQVvM

Leave a comment:

• Lucky13
    replied
    "2. Keep the yellow line(s) on the left, unless it is safe to cross in order to pass something in your lane."

It is my understanding that you do not cross solid yellow lines for anything, only dashed yellow lines allow crossing to pass or overtake.

Leave a comment:

• adkman12986
    replied
    Originally posted by montcalm View Post
    AHahahaha. Based on the forum rage here, I'd hate to see the road rage.

Don't let those bikes run you off the road! Flex your muscle because you have a 2 ton vehicle
    How about a little consideration on both sides

Leave a comment:

• montcalm
    replied
    AHahahaha. Based on the forum rage here, I'd hate to see the road rage.

Don't let those bikes run you off the road! Flex your muscle because you have a 2 ton vehicle

Leave a comment:

• adkman12986
    replied
    All I CASN SAY IS WOW

Leave a comment:

• pigpen
    replied
    But you feel compelled to break the law by passing unsafely when a bicycle is in the lane, or part of the lane?
    what? read back tough guy. i honestly dont know where the hell you are going with this.

Leave a comment:

• bmike-vt
    replied
    Originally posted by pigpen View Post
    ok bmike vt. you accused me of trolling when i think you sir are the troll here. I do not think you are getting my point. When there are 5,000-10,000lb vehicles using the road as they should, please understand your surroundings. I started this thread because this is a problem, if you would like to defend foolishness, start your own thread. When i have to swerve into an oncoming lane to avoid a bicycle that should be on the shoulder, then yes i am of course upset.
    Passing a cyclist, buggy, scooter, trooper, moose, or construction equipment on a blind corner at speed where you need to avoid an oncoming truck is the definition of not understanding your surroundings.

‘Using the road as they should’ means driving at a safe speed for conditions. If you can’t pass safely, slow down, and wait. Yes, this might mean you have to drive below the speed ‘limit’ for a few seconds.

And if you had to swerve, again - you were driving too fast for conditions.

Driving is really pretty simple:
    1. Keep the white line on the right.
    2. Keep the yellow line(s) on the left, unless it is safe to cross in order to pass something in your lane.
    3. Don’t hit things in front of you.
    4. Don’t drive over the speed limit.
    5. If you can’t see, slow down, or stop.
    6. Pass things that might be slower than you or a hazard only when you can do it safely.
    7. It’s ok to drive below the speed limit in order to follow rules 1-6.

Leave a comment:

• pigpen
    replied
    i think its bedtime montcalm, somebody is ti ti

Leave a comment:

• pigpen
    replied
    But you feel compelled to break the law by passing unsafely when a bicycle is in the lane, or part of the lane?
    what on gods green earth are you talking about? I said not and did not ever pass unsafely. Let me ask, why are you putting words in my mouth?

Leave a comment:

• pigpen
    replied
    Uh yeah, and I believe it because I don't trust drivers like YOU! But it's not the law. I don't choose to take the lane myself, but like I said, try your luck the next time you drive out of control and see whose fault it is when you injure or kill someone. It won't be cyclists if they are in their lane with the flow of traffic, or the oncoming vehicle if they are in their lane, I assure you that.

Everything that was said to you was to instruct you of the law and to try to keep you from killing someone.
    wow.

Leave a comment:

• montcalm
    replied
    Originally posted by pigpen View Post
    i don't speed through red lights but thank you for assuming i do. and no i don't get angry when i don't speed through red lights, but thanks for asking

Leave a comment:

• pigpen
    replied
    Hit the next one and see who goes to jail for manslaughter. It would also be deemed your fault if you hit an oncoming car trying to avoid a bicycle, buggy, pedestrian, etc...

The ones operating the vehicles need to be aware of their surroundings, and that includes other vehicles and pedestrians.

A bike that is riding legally in a lane that is hit will not be the fault of the bike, it will be the fault of the motorist, no matter where the bike is in the lane.

Do you get angry at people for stopping at green lights as you speed through reds? Because this is how ignorant you sound.
    i don't speed through red lights but thank you for assuming i do. and no i don't get angry when i don't speed through red lights, but thanks for asking

Leave a comment:

Working...
X