Blackfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulveyr View Post
    For what it's worth, I did a spur-of-the moment trip up to Inlet yesterday and rode from Arrowhead Park out to Helldiver pond and back. I was curious about how well my road bike with the 42mm file-tread tires would do.

On the positive side, they were perfect for the climbs out of Limekiln. ( Me, on the other hand... let's just say there is no possible way I will be competitive. ) When I got to some of the sandier bits on the plain, they were OK, though in a couple of looser spots I was skidding out a bit, but not too bad.

I also met up with a ranger who was new on the job, and we chatted for a little bit. I mentioned that there would be 500 or so cyclists coming through in two weeks, and she said she'd been told she'd be working that day, but hasn't heard there would be so many people. :-)
    rookies learn fast.....I'm there to finish and enjoy with my friend...99% of us are nowhere close to being competitive in this race.. More of self challenge and the cold beer and music later reflecting the days challenge..
    ADK 46-R # 6750W
    CL-50 #51
    CATSKILLS 9/35
    NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Good luck to all tomorrow on the race...!!
      ADK 46-R # 6750W
      CL-50 #51
      CATSKILLS 9/35
      NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Great race! Even though it rained for three days before, I ended up using my road bike and was perfectly fine. The course was in excellent condition--a little slippery going up the first mountain, a little sandy for around 1/2 mile on the plains, but fine otherwise.

I met a bunch of people, and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I think a lot of people had fun.

Comment

yup , good race... Do you have the special tire for the road bike?? i dont dare with my road tires, very smooth. I would think id pop or puncture the tire. Multi hills for the first 15 miles really had me whoopped abit... after that on the sand flats i was gaining and once i hit the Dam i get better and better as much beter peddling mtn bike on. I did ok.. far back in my class but 3:47 is fine.. How the heck could that guy finish in 1:20???!! insane speeds and stamina..
          ADK 46-R # 6750W
          CL-50 #51
          CATSKILLS 9/35
          NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Originally posted by viewseeker View Post
            yup , good race... Do you have the special tire for the road bike?? i dont dare with my road tires, very smooth. I would think id pop or puncture the tire. Multi hills for the first 15 miles really had me whoopped abit... after that on the sand flats i was gaining and once i hit the Dam i get better and better as much beter peddling mtn bike on. I did ok.. far back in my class but 3:47 is fine.. How the heck could that guy finish in 1:20???!! insane speeds and stamina..

I used 42mm slicks at around 35-40psi, and while I slipped around a little bit on the first big climb ( Fern Mountain? ) they were fine for the rest of the ride. I think the only significant disadvantage I had was on the backside of Wakely Mountain, where I couldn't go as fast on the fine gravel as people with knobbies. My top speed was something 33mph, and yet some guys on cross bikes were rocketing past me. My GPS track is at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520637274

Looking at the elevation maps beforehand I was afraid that the climb up Wakely was going to kill me, but I guess I hit my stride by that point, and it wasn't a problem. The decent from mile 20 on felt *nice* :-)

I ended up at 3:00 for my official time. Yeah, the top contenders were amazing, weren't they--including that 15-year-old who took what, 2nd or 3rd overall?

Comment

I rode my fatbike and finished in 2:58. Thought that the Nate tires would really slow me down but I beat my previous best time by 5 minutes. I even had a Hillman sighting!
              I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
                I rode my fatbike and finished in 2:58. Thought that the Nate tires would really slow me down but I beat my previous best time by 5 minutes. I even had a Hillman sighting!
                Hi Jim, I was with Hillman at the car, nice to have met you... He says your Da' man... You passed us i think just past the golf coarse and never seen you after..

Great time all in all for my first ride...Everyone was enjoying the day..
                ADK 46-R # 6750W
                CL-50 #51
                CATSKILLS 9/35
                NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

I definitely plan to do this next year - even more so if SWMBO allows me to get the new Specialized Diverge before then!!
                  “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
                    I definitely plan to do this next year - even more so if SWMBO allows me to get the new Specialized Diverge before then!!
                    It's amazing how gravel/dirt road bikes have exploded in the past year; everyone seems to be drooling over the just-announced GT Grade, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mulveyr View Post
                      It's amazing how gravel/dirt road bikes have exploded in the past year; everyone seems to be drooling over the just-announced GT Grade, too.
                      Saw that one also...they both look fun to ride
                      “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Working...
                      X