Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimVroman
    replied
    I guess that there is no "good" way to go, but at least the guy was doing something that he loved to do.

Leave a comment:

• BobF
    replied
    I read that as well Jim. 63 yrs old and out on his own for 3 days.

Horrible.

Leave a comment:

• Huezee
    replied
    Wishful thinking but it would be great if someone held more AIARE classes. Last time I checked there were maybe two sessions and some were mid-week. The classes seem to fill up incredibly fast. The only other open sessions were in the White Mountains.

Leave a comment:

• JimVroman
    replied
    Just learned that the hiker found dead at the Trap Dyke could have been the victim of an avalanche. He was found under 4 feet of snow.

Leave a comment:

• Schultzz
    replied
    Maybe a good-sized carbide cannon would help. I have witnessed and heard that whoomp sound before and it startled me. Fortunately the slide didn't reach me.

Leave a comment:

• St.Regis
    replied
    Wow!

Leave a comment:

• adkman12986
    replied
    https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...eak-avalanche/

Leave a comment:

• TCD
    replied
    What happened was probably powder fever. Risk assessment and decision making gets subordinated to excitement.

We skied the powder on the first day also; it was soft and beautiful. But we skied it in a moderately angled, wooded glade; zero avy risk.

We have all the training and all the equipment. The training teaches us to avoid the situation where we will have to use the equipment.

Leave a comment:

• montcalm
    replied
    Originally posted by mgc View Post
    Avalanche training is the piece that is missing. It's not enough to own skis, skins, a beacon and an airbag.
    Looking at someone else snow pit readings is meaningless. A backcountry skier needs to have almost all of the same certifications and knowledge that a ski guide is expected to carry. You dig your own pits and you know how to read them. You know where and when you can go and more importantly you know enough not to.
    I agree - I'm not sure what happened here. They had training. The DEC issued warning.

Maybe they did dig a pit and still got caught out. I think they are investigating but likely we'll never really know.

Leave a comment:

• mgc
    replied
    Originally posted by montcalm View Post
    Yeah - two skiers caught in it, no one died, luckily.
    Might be time for permits up there in HPW.
    Avalanche training is the piece that is missing. It's not enough to own skis, skins, a beacon and an airbag.
    Looking at someone else snow pit readings is meaningless. A backcountry skier needs to have almost all of the same certifications and knowledge that a ski guide is expected to carry. You dig your own pits and you know how to read them. You know where and when you can go and more importantly you know enough not to.

Leave a comment:

• montcalm
    replied
    I should add, in all honesty, these guys were prepared with the proper gear and had training. They were both buried though - one dug himself out and rescued the other. It was a close brush though.

Leave a comment:

• montcalm
    replied
    Yeah - two skiers caught in it, no one died, luckily.

Here we go again with clear warning, and arrogance, ignorance or stupidity coming through with expected results - seems to be a resounding theme everywhere I look.

Might be time for permits up there in HPW.

Leave a comment:

• JimVroman
    replied
    Just read in the Adk' Explorer that there was a massive slide over the weekend on Wright Peak.

Leave a comment:

• TCD
    replied
    Good website!

Leave a comment:

• Huezee
    replied
    Open source observations: https://www.adkavy.org/observations/view-observations

Leave a comment:

Working...
X