Rattlesnakes in the cliffs......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
    Buck, don't forget to look for signs of bear. They love berry season and come out at night in force. In the MRP I often see Moose and Bear tracks on the edge of the road.
    Indeed, but in nearly 50 years of living, hiking, berry picking and hunting on and around Buck Mt., I've yet to see a bear in Hogtown. We have seen tracks a few times. Only a few are taken in the Norther Zone part of Washington County. Some years, none.

The only rattler I've ever seen was on Lake Champlain, when paddling South Bay back in 2007.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I dont believe there are any Rattlers in the northern zone although I could be wrong, too cold.
      "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
      ~Herbert Hoover

Comment

Originally posted by Northcountryman View Post
        I dont believe there are any Rattlers in the northern zone although I could be wrong, too cold.
        There were at one time-Upper Jay has an appropriately named, Rattlesnake Knob.

Comment

They just found one in a cemetery in Glens Falls, and another got killed on a city street not far from there. There's rumors of a third.
          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
            They just found one in a cemetery in Glens Falls, and another got killed on a city street not far from there. There's rumors of a third.
            That's interesting since normally it is said they only travel a kilometer or so from their den to hunt.

Comment

If you ever get to speak with someone who works in a poison center they are reluctant to say much but they can tell you where rattlesnakes have been reported or have bitten people and you might find it hard to believe but they can be found almost anywhere even in large cities. Of course they don't want this knowledge to reach the local media.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I always knew Timber Rattlers existed in the Tongue Mtn Range area and ran across one 3 years ago within a quarter mile from the Clay Meadows bridge. The two recent encounters were up close and personal. Strike-zone personal with a big, fat rattler.

I will wear snake gaiters (Turtleskin) whenever I'm in the Lake George area. That's a bit of comfort. Still, they are totally camouflaged and can be in the grass right next to the trail you're walking and you'll never see them.

During the 2010-2019 decade, in the US more people were killed by venomous snakes than by grizzly. That's after eliminating people who owned venomous snakes or those who used them in a religious ceremony (crazy).

The simple truth is I'd rather be hiking in grizzly territory than in an area with Timber Rattlers. At least I think I'd see it coming and would have some chance of self defense rather than a quick strike and envenomation from something you didn't know was even there.

Comment

What are snake gaiters? That’s sounds pretty good , would like to get them for protection if possible
                  "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
                  ~Herbert Hoover

Comment

What are snake gaiters? That’s sounds pretty good , would like to get them for protection if possible
                    Price wise they begin at $40.00 and go to $200, maybe more. Try eBay or Amazon, Sportsman's Guide.
                    OLD military leather ones work too BUT many aren't very tall.
                    I prefer tall leather boots but there also are nylon Snake Boots.

Comment

We use regular gaiters for lower-leg protection from rain or bushes. Snake gaiters are worn over the lower leg, just like regular gaiters, except they're built to be either bite resistant or bite proof.

There are several options out these some of which look like a medieval warrior going into battle. I chose Turtleskins which are by far the lightest ones out there and, per their website, are "Tested with actual, live rattlesnakes".

If I were buying again, I would buy the husky rather than the regular as they are a little longer.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outdo...rotection.html

Comment

FOund this .......

FOund this shed skin 2 days ago on my run in southern orange coun ty NY

almost 5 feet long
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice find.

Comment

Making ...

Making a hatband out of it

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILOGRE53 View Post
                              Making a hatband out of it
                              I was going to suggest that but thought better of it. I hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
                                That's interesting since normally it is said they only travel a kilometer or so from their den to hunt.
                                They're pretty sure they were transported, either intentionally or unintentionally. The other one was in poor health and died.
                                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Working...
                                X