Platform Camps back in the Old Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platform Camps back in the Old Days

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's , I remember my Grandfather had one of those platform camps on Barnum Pond, just up from Paul Smith's. His camp was located just to the right and up from the big rock that was clearly visible on the right hand side of the shoreline when standing on the road. He had the camp for a number of years right up till they were ordered dismantled by the state sometime in the mid 70's ( I think). Does anyone remember these platform camps on Barnum Pond- perhaps, even have spent time at one? I sure have good memories of that camp; would love to see an old pic of the Pond during this era with the camps clearly visible- do any exist I wonder?
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
    ~Herbert Hoover

I remember camps on the ponds in that area, but not on Barnum. I'm guessing that Nelson Rockefeller wasn't on your grandfather's Christmas card list

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
      I remember camps on the ponds in that area, but not on Barnum. I'm guessing that Nelson Rockefeller wasn't on your grandfather's Christmas card list
      Was it Rocky? My memory is that Hugh Carey was the guy responsible. We used to enjoy the use of one of those camps on Follensby Clear Pond.

Comment

APA was est. on Rocky's watch...but the deadline for removing camps may have been during the early part of Carey's first term...I believe NR was gov until '73 and HC was '74-'82

Comment

Ok, that makes sense time-wise. And I’ve held a grudge against the wrong guy for a lifetime. Lol

Comment

Yes, I remember the tent platforms. Also, I visited the remains of your grandfathers platform on Barnum pond while I was a student at Paul Smiths College. 71-73.
            The platform had been dismantled but there still was much debris around.

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
              APA was est. on Rocky's watch...but the deadline for removing camps may have been during the early part of Carey's first term...I believe NR was gov until '73 and HC was '74-'82
              Yes the vote to establish the APA was 1972 or 73. I was living in Bloomingdale and most of the stores around Saranac Lake ,etc. had petitions against formation of the APA, but like usual downstate shoved it through. APA?s regulations is why tent platforms are a thing of the past.

Comment

I thought this was a pretty good read...
                APA, Regulation + Resistance, 50 Years of the Adirondack Park Agency
                https://www.theadkx.org/apa-at-50/

Comment

Working...
                X