The Disappearance of Douglas Legg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trailpatrol View Post
    There will always be a lot of supposition about this and any case where a person or their remains are never located. As a former bloodhound and SAR dog handler, I believe the old adage, "Believe your dog", or in this case, Jim Suffolk and Barney Fowler's dogs. Both trooper's bloodhounds led into the bog. I have read all the information everyone has forwarded and posted. While I find it all interesting, fascinating even, it doesn't change my opinion. Jim Suffolk was one of my mentors, and he was the one who taught me to "believe my dog".

I
    Be safe,
    Hans
    Which Bog? The one by the bridge? I thought the dogs led to the other side of the Lake. The caretaker always thought that Douglas wander into the bog.

The problem with the bones on the Island scenario is it was within shouting distance of the camp. Someone lost usually shouts for help.

Comment

• Originally posted by cityboy View Post
      Which Bog? The one by the bridge? I thought the dogs led to the other side of the Lake. The caretaker always thought that Douglas wander into the bog.

The problem with the bones on the Island scenario is it was within shouting distance of the camp. Someone lost usually shouts for help.
      I dunno. You are talking 43 years ago; I've slept since then.

HLE
      "Come to the Forest, where the other you lives!"

Comment

• doug legg

Originally posted by Gray Ghost View Post
        This story has long interested and saddened me. I was wondering if anyone had any info. or theories as to what might have happened. I'm especially interested in those who remember the ordeal, or are familiar with the Santanoni/Newcomb area. The disappearance took place years before I was born, and while I have read some info. on it, I still feel somewhat left in the dark. -GG
        When I was 17 years old worked for YACC in Sagamore. some of our jobs we had to stay at other camps for a week at times. One camp in particular which is out near newcomb. has 3 camps on it very beautiful homes. One night i was sitting in the crew truck with 2 gouys and could see as clear as day someone leaning against a tree. it was 2 am. it spooked me because we are out in the middle of no where 5 miles off the main road. i ran into the house put a dresser in front of my door. next morning i woke up had some coffee and remembered the night before. when i ran outside I remember the guys saying its just a board leaning against the tree. There was no board it was gone. no footprints in the snow and had not snowed the night before. I also had a eeirier thing happen to me there but wont go into fool detail. when i got back to raquette lake and told my boss dont ever send me back there he started telling me about the doug legg story. he use to be a counsler also at camp santanoni when the state bought it. he has many reports of folks seeing a image of a boy then dissappears. i am 52 now back in NY. would love to be able to go back there now. Im not scared no more. and Ive thought about those 2 nights of fear my whole life. Dont have contact with any of my old co workers. I believe the boss works in plattsburg now still with the DEC. did I believe in ghost nooooooo do i know hmm what i expierenced was real . something was trying to let us see him. honestly believe he is a lost soul . so sad.

Comment

• So it's over ten years since I started this thread and I find myself helping one of my students research missing persons cases for a project. In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
          http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

• May I suggest Multiple Choice?

a) Tape measures were different years ago

b) Scales were indifferent fifty years ago, during the Stone-Age

c) We grow faster and taller, now-a-days

d) Our brain stems are bigger and smarter now, because we eat healthy foods.

e) Romans, Greeks, and countless cultured civilizations dispatched of unwanted children as they saw fit

f) Perhaps we should discontinue in-breeding on a voluntary and non-monetary basis.
            Last edited by serotonin; 03-04-2016, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gray Ghost View Post
              In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
              g) Back then, we didn't have all-night infomercials on 60 channels to teach us how to keep our bodies in perfect proportion.
              Now we do.

Comment

So it's over ten years since I started this thread and I find myself helping one of my students research missing persons cases for a project. In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
                I don't have much expertise, but, in 1971, kids were quite a bit smaller.
                I do know for certain, when I was 10, (not eight), I was skinny, and sixty lbs.
                Average height, maybe 3'6"".
                3' may be right for 8 yrs old back then, but 76 lbs would be fat. Somewhat unusual for a young boy back then.

Comment

In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
                  http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/legg_douglas.html

Comment

• Hmm, wrong county in the link. I live in Oswego County and I am about 140 miles from Santanoni, give or take a couple. I should know what county it's really in but I have forgotten.
                    Zach

Comment

• I do believe he was from the Syracuse area but was visiting what is now Camp Santanoni in the town of Newcomb Essex county.

Comment

• Zach, Obviously the article screwed up where he went missing. However, Grey Ghost was asking about his physical attributes. I think that the charleyproject.org article better describes a boy of his age. And yes, the Legg boy was from the Syracuse area.

Comment

• A day or so after I made this post his height was changed on Charlie Project. It was listed at 3' previously.
                          http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

• In the summer of 1971, I was a student at Paul Smith's Colledge, I and several other students went to Newcomb and participated in the search.
                            Temps were in the 90's and high humidity.
                            The thing that struck me the most about the search, was it was poorly executed. Too many inexperienced volunteers. I carried a large ball of string, on the far left of the line of searchers as we supposedly covered all of the area. I kept within sight of the person to my right, and they did the same. The person on the far right followed a string line that another group had laid down.
                            Several times when we entered thick spruce/fir swamps, the guys to my right ended up following me, thus, much of the area was poorly searched.
                            As I reflec back about the whole incident , I believe there was foul play involed, and the boy did not wander off into the ADK wilderness.

Comment

• Another thing about this search. After the authorities had all but given up, the family hired the Sierra Clubs elite search team. When they arrived in the area, They arrogantly bragged about having a high success rate of finding lost people.

After a week or so they gave up, and their spoke person stated that it was some of the toughest terrain they had ever encountered.

It was, the area I was in was thick mosquito ridden spruce/fir swamp.

Comment

• Also lots of deep bogs and vast areas that are steep with lots of areas to crawl into.

Comment

Working...
                                X