Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunted Giant Mountain campsite

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Haunted Giant Mountain campsite

    OK, so I have stayed at this campsite that is at the bottom of roaring brook falls a few times now. I was told its haunted. Any stories on this? I heard something about 2 boys that fell from the falls overlook.

  • #2
    Not familiar with this story, but my advice is never to initiate spiritual contact "just out of curiosity". Not all spirits are bound to a location, and they could follow you home if they discover they can somehow communicate with, or through, you. Worse, something sinister could follow them to your home as well...

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm haunted by Deer Fly bites that I brought back from the weekend.
      Adirondack Base Camp
      Adirondack Trailhead

      Comment


      • #4
        I am haunted by waters....
        “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
          I am haunted by waters....
          Didn't that line come from''A River Runs Through it?'' Looncry

          ps I own the movie.....
          Last edited by ; 08-11-2009, 02:01 AM. Reason: explain

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by looncry View Post
            Didn't that line come from''A River Runs Through it?'' Looncry

            ps I own the movie.....
            Yep - last line of the book....
            “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
              Not familiar with this story, but my advice is never to initiate spiritual contact "just out of curiosity". Not all spirits are bound to a location, and they could follow you home if they discover they can somehow communicate with, or through, you. Worse, something sinister could follow them to your home as well...
              Lute,
              You sure seem to take the spiritual world rather seriously.
              Judging from a few of your posts about certain areas in the Moose River Plains and Mt Tom, and your little 'spiritual mini-totems', you must have a good ghost story to tell ...don't you?

              I watch "Ghost Hunters", I'm a believer!

              Growing up in my parents house, which was built in 1898 (I think), I have experienced some very un-explainable things during the 15+ years I lived there. I usually always just dismissed it as "Oh that's nothing, it's just Flo."
              Flo (Florence) is the old lady that past away in my old bedroom a few years before my parents bought the house. Flo is definitely not a bad ghost, but every now and again, I still have one of those crazy weird dreams where I'm back in that house and there's some crazy spiritual activity going on.

              Paddlewheel might be able to tell you more about Flo, after all, he still lives in that house!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Justin View Post
                Lute,
                You sure seem to take the spiritual world rather seriously.
                Judging from a few of your posts about certain areas in the Moose River Plains and Mt Tom, and your little 'spiritual mini-totems', you must have a good ghost story to tell ...don't you?

                I watch "Ghost Hunters", I'm a believer!

                Growing up in my parents house, which was built in 1898 (I think), I have experienced some very un-explainable things during the 15+ years I lived there. I usually always just dismissed it as "Oh that's nothing, it's just Flo."
                Flo (Florence) is the old lady that past away in my old bedroom a few years before my parents bought the house. Flo is definitely not a bad ghost, but every now and again, I still have one of those crazy weird dreams where I'm back in that house and there's some crazy spiritual activity going on.

                Paddlewheel might be able to tell you more about Flo, after all, he still lives in that house!
                Hell, Justin, I'm scared sh!t of this stuff! The only reason I look into it, is so I know how to avoid it, and which places to avoid. I created my line of spiritual mini-totems in the hopes they ward off anything before I can see it. So far I haven't had any complaints of failure by users of my totems.

                Your "Flo" spirit reminds me of something really stupid I did once in my early teen years...all the more dangerous since I was a regular churchgoer and should have known better.

                I was probably watching too many spook/devil movies at the time, and I guess out of curiosity, I decided to play "spirit man". I painted a candle black and placed it on a piece of paper on which I drew something similiar to the Led Zeppelin "ZOFO" symbols. I turned off all the lights and lit the candle. As I was babbling some stupid nonsense along the lines of "spirits, I summon you to enter my realm...", I felt a very, very cold breeze blow against me. At the time, we were going through a heatwave; the basement windows were closed, and the outside air was dead calm...so it occured to me quite quickly that this cold breeze came from out of nowhere. Well, it scared the crap out of me...what was I thinking? I thought this only happened in Hollywood movies. I apologized to God, destroyed the candle, went back upstairs to where Mom and Dad were, and never did it again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
                  Hell, Justin, I'm scared sh!t of this stuff! The only reason I look into it, is so I know how to avoid it, and which places to avoid. I created my line of spiritual mini-totems in the hopes they ward off anything before I can see it. So far I haven't had any complaints of failure by users of my totems.

                  Your "Flo" spirit reminds me of something really stupid I did once in my early teen years...all the more dangerous since I was a regular churchgoer and should have known better.

                  I was probably watching too many spook/devil movies at the time, and I guess out of curiosity, I decided to play "spirit man". I painted a candle black and placed it on a piece of paper on which I drew something similiar to the Led Zeppelin "ZOFO" symbols. I turned off all the lights and lit the candle. As I was babbling some stupid nonsense along the lines of "spirits, I summon you to enter my realm...", I felt a very, very cold breeze blow against me. At the time, we were going through a heatwave; the basement windows were closed, and the outside air was dead calm...so it occured to me quite quickly that this cold breeze came from out of nowhere. Well, it scared the crap out of me...what was I thinking? I thought this only happened in Hollywood movies. I apologized to God, destroyed the candle, went back upstairs to where Mom and Dad were, and never did it again.
                  Wow, that's quite a story Lute!
                  Thanks!
                  That story kind of reminds me when I was about 8 years old playing "Ouija Board" alone in Flo's old bedroom.

                  Never did that again either!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Justin View Post
                    Wow, that's quite a story Lute!
                    Thanks!
                    That story kind of reminds me when I was about 8 years old playing "Ouija Board" alone in Flo's old bedroom.

                    Never did that again either!
                    Now this is getting interesting.

                    I grew up in an old haunted house. Once we saw "people" walking past the windows and would hear footsteps, upstairs even though we were alone.
                    Several ghostly stories, a couple my mother would tell as well.
                    The old house burnt when I was 16 and my parents rebuilt. In some ways I miss it but in others I don't.
                    "It is easier to become a Forty-Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over."

                    Paul Jamieson Class of '58

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      First house I bought in Rochester was built in 1912 - every time I did a project in the house, I'd look over my shoulder and see an older couple scrambling away. Finally one day I changed out an old light fixture - looked over and saw 'them' again...they looked at each other, smiled and disappeared forever - never saw them again after that.

                      My next house was even worse...saw an older woman in a grey shawl at least once a week...my daughter even thought someone woke her up one day (even said her ponytail was 'flipped') and she saw someone as well. At that time, my wife's mother had recently passed away, and to this day we both believe it was her keeping an eye on us.
                      “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had a scary experience with a Ouija board once with my bro-in-law.

                        We immediately tried to burn the board, but it would not burn.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So the story behind it for me. I have stayed in this campsite a few times now. I like it because it’s pretty and not heavily used. On the forth of July this year I went with a few friends and stayed in this campsite again. Again everyone in the party was fine. Nothing weird happened.

                          Two of my friends live about two hours from the park and know a few 46’s. When telling them of their adventures on this trip they said that we stayed at the campsite at the bottom of the falls. They said their friends reacted with “You actually stayed the night in that camp site?” My friends were then told of stories of all the people that attempted to stay at the site and the supernatural events that happened there. Supposedly there were 2 brothers that fell over the ledge of the falls to their deaths and now roam the area under the falls. Multiple people who have stayed in this campsite tell stories of nights of being tormented by these wayward spirits. No real detail on what tormented meant but the 46er telling this story refuses to stay at this site.

                          I don’t live in the area so I don’t have access to actual records. I have never had anything ghostly happen to me in this site. When reading the trail book about the roaring brook trail it does mention taking caution when taking the trail that leads to the overlook of the falls and that there were “several serious accidents”. Sounds like a polite way of saying a few people have fallen 100 feet to their deaths. Figure I would take this story to the forum and see who else has stayed in this campsite or if anyone has heard any of these stories.
                          Last edited by podolecgb; 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by podolecgb View Post
                            So the story behind it for me. I have stayed in this campsite a few times now. I like it because it’s pretty and not heavily used. On the forth of July this year I went with a few friends and stayed in this campsite again. Again everyone in the party was fine. Nothing weird happened.

                            Two of my friends live about two hours from the park and know a few 46’s. When telling them of their adventures on this trip they said that we stayed at the campsite at the bottom of the falls. They said their friends reacted with “You actually stayed the night in that camp site?” My friends were then told of stories of all the people that attempted to stay at the site and the supernatural events that happened there. Supposedly there were 2 brothers that fell over the ledge of the falls to their deaths and now roam the area under the falls. Multiple people who have stayed in this campsite tell stories of nights of being tormented by these wayward spirits. No real detail on what tormented meant but the 46er telling this story refuses to stay at this site.

                            I don’t live in the area so I don’t have access to actual records. I have never had anything ghostly happen to me in this site. When reading the trail book about the roaring brook trail it does mention taking caution when taking the trail that leads to the overlook of the falls and that there were “several serious accidents”. Sounds like a polite way of saying a few people have fallen 100 feet to their deaths. Figure I would take this story to the forum and see who else has stayed in this campsite or if anyone has heard any of these stories.
                            I have actually put together a mini-extended history of accidents and important notes on Giant Mountain. My goal in the next couple of months or so is to put together a website with a somewhat comprehensive history of each of the High Peaks including hiking accidents, trail construction data, geological survey data, first and notable summits, first ascents of rock climbing routes, landslides, aviation crashes, etc.

                            So far I have more information on Giant than any other mountain and the Giant Mountain wilderness has certainly claimed its share of lives. I'd be willing to bet that more people might have actually died on Giant than any other High Peak, save for maybe Marcy (which attracts so many people as a result of its distinction as the highest) and Whiteface (most of its deaths have been skiing related).

                            In terms of Roaring Brook Falls deaths:

                            1970: On July 8th, 1970 hiker Harvey Dearstyne, 16, of Glens Falls (NY) fell to his death at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain. The cause of death was a fractured neck and skull. Almost three years to the day later, a similar incident would occur at Roaring Brook Falls again.

                            1973: On July 6th, 1973, hiker Jerry Ornsby, 8, of Pittsford (NY) fell four hundred feet, the entire length of Roaring Brook falls to his death at the base of Giant Mountain. It was the second such death at the falls just inside of three years.

                            So at least two people are known to have died from falling off Roaring Brook Falls, but I'm almost sure more have.

                            Other deaths include Eric Engler and Adam Michalski. Engler was a young boy who collapsed near the Roaring Brook - Zander Scott junction on the trail in the early 1990s on the trail where there is a memorial cross still there bearing his name. Michalski was a hunter, probably not anywhere near the trails but was somewhere in the wilderness hunting in the early 1950s when he collapsed due to heart trouble.

                            So if any sites are haunted, there are some potential reasons why.
                            " People are crazy and times are strange,
                            I'm locked in tight. I'm out of range
                            I used to care but things have changed."
                            - Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Roaring Brook/Giant Mountain Deaths

                              If anyone has any relevant information to accidents or noteable events on any of the Adirondack High Peaks, please PM me with information and a source.
                              " People are crazy and times are strange,
                              I'm locked in tight. I'm out of range
                              I used to care but things have changed."
                              - Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X