X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No such thing as ghosts.

Comment

non believer but........

I did live in a house where the bath faucets would turn on anywhere from 1 minute to hours later after going to bed. The only problem I had with that is that the faucet had turn knobs (and were always turned on as high as they could go) and not levers. Levers I could see potentially slipping on but turn knobs....I don't know about that. Then there was a spot on our living room floor that would aquire weird things. One day I would come home and find every piece of footware piled up high (even ones that were behind closed closet doors). Another time the cupboard that contained all the tupperware was emptied out and stacked on the same spot. The 3rd time it happend it was all the stuff from the dry-goods pantry (flour,pastas and baking supplies) again piled or stacked on the same spot. Another thing that would happen is the dog and cat would always get fed if we were out late. We then put the dog food in a spare bedroom closet with the room and closet door closed before we left, only to come home and find both doors opened the the new 50lb bag opened at the top!! The other thing I did to try and prevent the animals from getting into the food was to put the catfood in a glass applesauce jar and store it in the cupboard above the stove. Came home that night to find the cupboard door open the lid to the jar on the stove and the large glass jar unbroken on the floor.....pets fed again! The last weird thing was getting ready to go to a picnic with 2 1/2 dozen chocolate cookies. I set them on the table for less than a minute to grab something, came back out and the plate was clean with the dog acting very strange. The very last thing to happen was ......we moved out. We found out that both of the elderly parents died in the house.
      sigpic

Avacal

Comment

Originally posted by Avacal View Post
        I did live in a house where the bath faucets would turn on anywhere from 1 minute to hours later after going to bed. The only problem I had with that is that the faucet had turn knobs (and were always turned on as high as they could go) and not levers. Levers I could see potentially slipping on but turn knobs....I don't know about that. Then there was a spot on our living room floor that would aquire weird things. One day I would come home and find every piece of footware piled up high (even ones that were behind closed closet doors). Another time the cupboard that contained all the tupperware was emptied out and stacked on the same spot. The 3rd time it happend it was all the stuff from the dry-goods pantry (flour,pastas and baking supplies) again piled or stacked on the same spot. Another thing that would happen is the dog and cat would always get fed if we were out late. We then put the dog food in a spare bedroom closet with the room and closet door closed before we left, only to come home and find both doors opened the the new 50lb bag opened at the top!! The other thing I did to try and prevent the animals from getting into the food was to put the catfood in a glass applesauce jar and store it in the cupboard above the stove. Came home that night to find the cupboard door open the lid to the jar on the stove and the large glass jar unbroken on the floor.....pets fed again! The last weird thing was getting ready to go to a picnic with 2 1/2 dozen chocolate cookies. I set them on the table for less than a minute to grab something, came back out and the plate was clean with the dog acting very strange. The very last thing to happen was ......we moved out. We found out that both of the elderly parents died in the house.
        ...and you're a NON-believer???
        Emily T

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
        -- Mark Twain

Comment

No such thing as ghosts.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mapscannotcontainme View Post
            I have actually put together a mini-extended history of accidents and important notes on Giant Mountain. My goal in the next couple of months or so is to put together a website with a somewhat comprehensive history of each of the High Peaks including hiking accidents, trail construction data, geological survey data, first and notable summits, first ascents of rock climbing routes, landslides, aviation crashes, etc.

So far I have more information on Giant than any other mountain and the Giant Mountain wilderness has certainly claimed its share of lives. I'd be willing to bet that more people might have actually died on Giant than any other High Peak, save for maybe Marcy (which attracts so many people as a result of its distinction as the highest) and Whiteface (most of its deaths have been skiing related).

In terms of Roaring Brook Falls deaths:

1970: On July 8th, 1970 hiker Harvey Dearstyne, 16, of Glens Falls (NY) fell to his death at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain. The cause of death was a fractured neck and skull. Almost three years to the day later, a similar incident would occur at Roaring Brook Falls again.

1973: On July 6th, 1973, hiker Jerry Ornsby, 8, of Pittsford (NY) fell four hundred feet, the entire length of Roaring Brook falls to his death at the base of Giant Mountain. It was the second such death at the falls just inside of three years.

So at least two people are known to have died from falling off Roaring Brook Falls, but I'm almost sure more have.

Other deaths include Eric Engler and Adam Michalski. Engler was a young boy who collapsed near the Roaring Brook - Zander Scott junction on the trail in the early 1990s on the trail where there is a memorial cross still there bearing his name. Michalski was a hunter, probably not anywhere near the trails but was somewhere in the wilderness hunting in the early 1950s when he collapsed due to heart trouble.

So if any sites are haunted, there are some potential reasons why.
            That’s freaken creepy!!! I thought it was BS. I have stayed at the campsite a few times and nothing. Now I am wondering if the rustling in the trees was really something more but how would I ever know, it is the woods. How many people have died on Giant mountain that you know about?

Comment

I only specifically know of those four individuals, HOWEVER

Originally posted by podolecgb View Post
              That’s freaken creepy!!! I thought it was BS. I have stayed at the campsite a few times and nothing. Now I am wondering if the rustling in the trees was really something more but how would I ever know, it is the woods. How many people have died on Giant mountain that you know about?
              I only specifically know of those four individuals HOWEVER I am almost positive there have been at least two more recorded fatalities. In reality, it wouldn't surprise me if there were twice as many recorded deaths. Like I said, because of the proximity of Giant Mountain to major roads (Routes 73, 9, and 9N), it is one of the more popular High Peaks simply for hiking. When you take into consideration people don't just hike the trail, but rock climb, hike its slides, and get too close to the waterfalls then you have the perfect recipe, so to speak, for half dozen or so fatalities and dozens of injuries that have occurred on Giant Mountain over the years.

One incident that I remember reading about was some guy from the 1980s who got lost in the Giant Mountain Wilderness for five days. I don't think he was very old or hurt or handicapped or anything. He just wandered off trail and got lost. Now because of the size of the area, it's physically impossible to stand anywhere in the Wilderness, turn and walk for much more than ten miles without hitting road. I couldn't get lost in the Giant Wilderness if I tried for five hours, much less for five days! Instead of trying to find a trail or a stream he could have followed out of the woods, or instead of trying to get back to a cliff or a summit to flag down the helicopters that were searching for him, he just sat down and waited. He ran out of food and water and had to purify his own urine for a couple of days until they found him. Fortunately he was OK. The fact he knew how to purify his own urine but didn't have the presence of mind to bring a map or know how to use it, though, just strikes me as strange. Had volunteers/rangers not wasted the better part of a week looking for him (possibly putting themselves in harm's way by looking near cliffs, etc. in doing so) and wasted taxpayer money on the helicopter fuel, I would say the whole thing is pretty funny. So remember: bring a map so you don't have to drink your own pee!

Edit about a year and a half later: While doing some research I came across the article talking about the man in the second paragraph again who was lost in Giant Wilderness for almost a week back in the 80s. His name was Ronnie Adams...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it turns out he was autistic so I take it back...wouldn't have been funny either way. Nobody here seemed to catch it, but I felt bad and wanted to correct myself. Now, if some city slicker who lacked respect for the wilderness or to some absent-minded and machismo-ridden dude got lost inside of three miles as the crow flies from a road and had to drink his own pee, it'd be hilarious if everybody made it out okay. I stand by that sentiment.
              Last edited by mapscannotcontainme; 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM.
              " People are crazy and times are strange,
              I'm locked in tight. I'm out of range
              I used to care but things have changed."
              - Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed

Comment

Originally posted by mapscannotcontainme View Post
                I have actually put together a mini-extended history of accidents and important notes on Giant Mountain. My goal in the next couple of months or so is to put together a website with a somewhat comprehensive history of each of the High Peaks including hiking accidents, trail construction data, geological survey data, first and notable summits, first ascents of rock climbing routes, landslides, aviation crashes, etc.

So far I have more information on Giant than any other mountain and the Giant Mountain wilderness has certainly claimed its share of lives. I'd be willing to bet that more people might have actually died on Giant than any other High Peak, save for maybe Marcy (which attracts so many people as a result of its distinction as the highest) and Whiteface (most of its deaths have been skiing related).

In terms of Roaring Brook Falls deaths:

1970: On July 8th, 1970 hiker Harvey Dearstyne, 16, of Glens Falls (NY) fell to his death at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain. The cause of death was a fractured neck and skull. Almost three years to the day later, a similar incident would occur at Roaring Brook Falls again.

1973: On July 6th, 1973, hiker Jerry Ornsby, 8, of Pittsford (NY) fell four hundred feet, the entire length of Roaring Brook falls to his death at the base of Giant Mountain. It was the second such death at the falls just inside of three years.

So at least two people are known to have died from falling off Roaring Brook Falls, but I'm almost sure more have.

Other deaths include Eric Engler and Adam Michalski. Engler was a young boy who collapsed near the Roaring Brook - Zander Scott junction on the trail in the early 1990s on the trail where there is a memorial cross still there bearing his name. Michalski was a hunter, probably not anywhere near the trails but was somewhere in the wilderness hunting in the early 1950s when he collapsed due to heart trouble.

So if any sites are haunted, there are some potential reasons why.
                UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM my name is ADAM and my middle name is SCOTT might be the reason I have never used this trail

Comment

Me thinks if you get to close to an edge anyone can fall.....
                  ADK 46-R # 6750W
                  CL-50 #51
                  CATSKILLS 9/35
                  NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

I really didn't pay any attention to this thread when it was 1st posted buuuuutttt when I was cleaning my closet I found some old photos (from the 1990's) and in one of them which was taken of the base of Roaring Brook Falls I noticed a mysterious dark figure.

They are right from the photo, the 1st one is resized and cropped to show it here and 2nd is cropped only of the dark figure. I did no photoshop tricks with shading or anything. The full sized unaltered scanned photo can be found here

That's certainly not me, I only hiked with my dog back then and no one else and I certainly wouldn't have taken a picture with a stranger in it (especially if he was dressed all in black like that).

Who knows...
                    Last edited by qam1; 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM. Reason: they vs that
                    :
                    :

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
                    :
                    :

Comment

That is a pretty cool photo. Any ideas on what the figure is? Looks like a guy holding a hiking pole...

Comment

Originally posted by qam1 View Post
                        I really didn't pay any attention to this thread when it was 1st posted buuuuutttt when I was cleaning my closet I found some old photos (from the 1990's) and in one of them which was taken of the base of Roaring Brook Falls I noticed a mysterious dark figure.

They are right from the photo, the 1st one is resized and cropped to show it here and 2nd is cropped only of the dark figure. I did no photoshop tricks with shading or anything. The full sized unaltered scanned photo can be found here

That's certainly not me, I only hiked with my dog back then and no one else and I certainly wouldn't have taken a picture with a stranger in it (especially if he was dressed all in black like that).

Who knows...
                        Only roaring brook falls knows. OOOOOOOAHHHHH-boo! lOONCRY

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1 View Post
                          That is a pretty cool photo. Any ideas on what the figure is? Looks like a guy holding a hiking pole...
                          The figure might not be a guy. In fact something about that silohuette seems slightly feminine to me. I don't know.

Either way, cool picture, qam1 and I've been a fan of the website for some time now, too.

Comment

A Few Articles of Deaths at Roaring Brook Falls

I'm sure if someone wanted to dig a bit further, they could find more articles. This was just a quick look at the Old Archive On-Line Newspapers of the area.
                            I found many articles about accidents and lost hikers on Giant.
                            Attached Files
                            "It is easier to become a Forty-Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over."

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1 View Post
                              You got me, I wouldn't know how to make someone appear that dark in a picture (especially with the crappy film camera I had and the overcast on that day) even if I wanted to.

I think it looks like someone holding an axe, blade down.

I don't know how I didn't notice it when I first got the picture developed

But I do remember the day, it was a Thanksgiving late 1990's, I hiked with my 2 sisters in laws, the only time either one ever came with me. But the figure is not either one, it's too tall and not as.... well let's just say not as full figured as either of them (I hope they never read this forum) and I know they never got anywhere near where the dark figure was because I remember that they were terrified of every little patch of ice (they aren't exactly the outdoorsy types) and never left the trail. We saw no one else that day.

One of my sisters in law brought a video recorder that day and recorded at various times, hopefully she can find the tape after all these years, be interesting to see if she got anything, though she might burn it or something, since I showed her this picture it kind of freaked her out.

Well whatever it is, ghost, demon, another hiker I didn't see, trick of the light, it's very bizarre and very creepy..
                              Last edited by qam1; 10-15-2009, 11:54 PM. Reason: my, my, hey hey
                              :
                              :

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
                              :
                              :

Comment

Originally posted by Skyclimber View Post
                                I'm sure if someone wanted to dig a bit further, they could find more articles. This was just a quick look at the Old Archive On-Line Newspapers of the area.
                                I found many articles about accidents and lost hikers on Giant.
                                Thanks. I had been using NNYLN to search and had been going forward year by year. I only got to about 1980 for Giant Mountain. The only reason I kne about Eric Engler was because while hiking down off Giant Mountain, I stopped to tie my sneaker and looked up to see this cross in front of me.

So I searched the backstory for it. Thanks Skyclimber.

Comment

Working...
                                X