Climb to the Center of the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climb to the Center of the World

Going to be going on a two week backpacking trip, Late may-Early June and one of the destinations is the "Center of the World."

There may be a few people here who know where I'm talking about and may be able to give me some input if they have done things in that area.

if so, please post.

In the meantime, being a lover of mysteries, lets see if anyone else knows where I am talking about.
    Last edited by redhawk; 01-26-2007, 03:26 PM.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

My wife would tell you that I just assume the center of the world is wherever I'm standing.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsmores View Post
      My wife would tell you that I just assume the center of the world is wherever I'm standing.
      obviously she has never met me!!
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I thought Wells, NY was the center of the world!

Let's see...you're Lakota, you're going backpacking with Doug for an extended outing, so putting the two together, I'd guess the Black Hills, SD?

Dick

Comment

from Wikipedia ...

"The axis mundi (axis of the world or "world axis"), in religion or mythology, is the world center and/or the connection between heaven and Earth. It exists in virtually all cultures on Earth" ... "Many cultures consider a specific place, almost always a hill, a mountain or a pyramid to be the axis mundi. For example, the Sioux consider the Black Hills to be the axis mundi".

so .. I'll agree with Dick's "guess".

it's been quite a while since I've been out there (wow, over 30 years! ohhhhhhh geezzz ... ).
          sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Actually Harney Peak (according to Black Elk): Highest elevation East of the Rockies via the Sylvan Lake Trail past Cathedral Spires and little Devils Tower.

Plus Bear Butte and the Devils Tower, sacred sites for the Lakota and the Northern Cheyenne.

Looking at an overnight in the Badlands too, along with visits to Wounded Knee, Spearfish, and time permitting and if it's still accessible, Redhawk Canyon, named for yours truly. Pipestone, MN on the way out, another Sacred Site. We'll be flying into Minneapolis-St Paul and driving from there so Pipestone is on the way.

Time permitting, a nice overnight Bushwhack up in the Sand Creek in the Northeast section of the Hills, in SD and WY. And maybe along Grizzly Bear Creek in the BHNF.

My brother and I are still planning but some of it is firmed up. We'll be stopping in Rapid City as well to visit an Oglala brother-in-law and maybe grab a shower, and check out Prairie's Edge.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip- maybe you'll be lucky enough to spot a mountain lion. Latest info on mt. lion recovery in that state indicates there may be 140 breeding pairs in the Black Hills alone.....

My "big" trip this year will be out to the largest wilderness area in the US south of Alaska- the River of No Return and Selway Bitterroot wilderness areas in Idaho making up nearly 5 million acres combined, separated only by a dirt road known as the Magruder corridor road. It's a place I've always wanted to go, and since I ain't getting any younger.....................
              Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

I've seen Cats in the Black hills in the past. Along with plenty of Mountain Goats.

I think that the chances are better in the Northern Black Hills though. that whole Southern Corridor is just too busy with visitors. Harney Peak, Cathredral Spires are the more popular spots, and not far from Keystone and Mount Rushmore Wind Cave and Custer parks.

I'm hoping to get lucky up in the Sand Creek area as far as cats go. Don't know if we'll see any grizzly there either.

Next year we're looking at the Missouri Breaks and Glacier and maybe a few other spots in Montana. The Breaks are still pretty sparse with humanity and a pretty opportunity of spotting some of the more elusive wildlife.

Comment

Nice trip Hawk. You and Doug will have a great time. I imagine you'll be cooking and dehydrating up a storm for the next few months! Are you taking the little lady of the hiking world? The Badlands would be quite a different experience for her from the waters of Lake George.
                  Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                  It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Boreal Chickadee View Post
                    Nice trip Hawk. You and Doug will have a great time. I imagine you'll be cooking and dehydrating up a storm for the next few months! Are you taking the little lady of the hiking world? The Badlands would be quite a different experience for her from the waters of Lake George.
                    Just me and Doug. School will still be in.

I've already started dehydrating meals and stocking up on some of the groceries I need for many of the meals.
                    Last edited by redhawk; 01-27-2007, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Wow, sounds like a great time.
                      Good detective work folks, in less than a day too. We should solve crimes on this forum!
                      He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

Working...
                      X