Grand Tetons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Tetons

The Birdman and I are planning a trip to the Great Grand Tetons this coming summer...The planning is in the early stages, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an semi-easy backpack loop (>50 miles) and something that would take in some of the best views in the area (maybe even some mtn. hikes or circumnavigations...Any info will be greatly appriciated! Thanks in advance ya'll!
    The Worlds Most Entertaining Hiking Website BirdHead Studios and Northeast 111 Videos

I was there as a kid on a cross country trip with my family. I seem to remember that the whole area had the best views in the area. I was more impressed with the Tetons and the black hills than I was with the grand canyon! Really awe inspiring!
    He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

Teton Crest Trail. Take the ski-lift up and spend the next week with enjoyable hiking and fantastic views with only one day of hiking uphill. The rest is a cake walk. The Adirondacks were tougher.

Comment

Grand Tetons

Hi - My husband and I have visited Grand Teton National Park twice, in 2003 and again in 2006. I had been there a few times as a kid too. We just love it there. We're poor so we travel cheap, tent camping and hotdogs!! Unfortunatley while we were there we weren't able to do much hiking because my husband has chronic foot problems. We took a few short hikes but nothing serious. I just have to tell you the very best thing we did while we were out there was a float trip down the Snake river. We went with the Solitude Float Trip Company and we went at 6am. First thing in the morning is the best time to go. We saw lots of elk, white pelicans, otters and eagles. The scenery is gorgeous too. And when you get hungry you have to go into Jackson Hole and eat at Bubba's Barbeque!! Great food at great prices. The salad bar is huge too.
        I'm already trying to talk my husband into going back there. When you go bring a good camera because you'll be taking lots of pictures!

Comment

What part of the summer?

I would climb Middle and if possible South Teton. They are both excellent class 2/3 hikes, although, it is difficult to reserve a campsite in the meadows--it's a climbing zoo up there this time of year AND conditions could be sketchy if you were going early in the season. Look into it. Last summer I was scoping out a portion of the range out of Pinedale. I'd do some research on that access area as well as the Wind River range. I also know of a great little hot spring between Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone...I'm sure there are more.
          "Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

--Chief Seattle

Comment

Working...
          X