Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zach Fowler And Greg Ovens Face Hunting And Fishing Charges

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-...national-park/

It seems that two YouTube content creators, Zach Fowler and Greg Ovens have gotten themselves into some trouble over their video in Canada.

Charges:
    -Illegal catch and retention of Yellowstone cutthroat trout and other fishing offences
    -Hunting in a park
    -Discharging a firearm in a park
    -Illegal fire
    -Damage/destroying natural object
    -Unpermitted use of a drone under the Canada National Parks Act

I mean, it is bad enough being out there doing these things, but to film it as well!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
    In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
    And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
    But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
    ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

I'm not really into bushcrafting but every once in a while I'll browse through online bushcrafting communities (without really participating)... and it's always seemed to me that there is never enough conversation within the community about just exactly when and where bushcrafting skills are appropriate for use. If someone totally new to any sort of hiking/camping/outdoor recreation were to browse some of those communities, they could easily walk away with the false assumption that stuff like cutting trees down to build a shelter is not just allowable on most public lands, but as an activity is commonplace among visitors to those public lands.

I think a lot of us on ADKForum have been in that situation where we've come across cut trees at a backcountry campsite in the ADKs, paired with an lackluster attempt to fasten the felled trees into some sort rudimentary shelters that often falls far short of anything that would keep you dry in even the lightest drizzle. I usually try to give the long-gone perpetrators the benefit of the doubt as I'm cleaning up the mess- maybe they truly failed to understand that this sort of activity was neither in keeping with backcountry regulations nor backcountry ethics, or maybe they truly felt they were in an emergency situation (although the proximity of some of the "shelters" I've found to a nearby road makes that second supposition less likely).

But if you're going to make a YouTube channel about your adventures, that is going to have the consequence of encouraging others to follow in your footsteps and mimic your behaviors (whether you want them to or not), then you're absolutely shouldering the burden of ensuring that you're doing it right- that you are setting the best example possible for others to aspire to. And whether they knew better or not, these two completely failed to do that.

Comment

I tend to believe there's a direct correlation between Bear Grylls and defacing of public land. I'm sure youtube vids have done no favors either, but I started noticing it even before they were common.

It's everywhere btw - not just the Adirondacks. I've actually seen less up there, but my frequency of visits have been much less in the past 5 years, so maybe it has ramped up.

All of the shows I've watched (I never once watched a youtube video on this) have never even mentioned anything about the impact of what they are doing - they simply present the forest as an infinite resource, which in some aspects, to a single individual with a lot of land, it can be. But, as we know, with public land that is simply not the case - especially areas where there is a high ratio of population to land area (remember the dog poop issue?).

I'm not even sure most people know what "forest preserve" is. Or what that means. I have to be honest I did not until I was in my 20's, and I spent a lot of time in the park before then. It was simply not something that was explained to me or something that was really promoted by towns. For instance, I simply remember going to the chamber of commerce and grabbing every map booklet I could find. I just assumed I could go hike on those trails because they were on that map - there was no real connection to what the land was or how it was managed.

And I have to say, having a family that had a camp there and talking with neighbors, I don't think they knew much of anything about it either. This generation is gone, but mostly I remember my grandparents generation who were brought up pre-APA. They had absolutely no regard for any of that.

Comment

Less than 5 minutes to search and I find a 2-hour video.
        Byline "Fowler's Makery and Mischief"

I didn't watch it through, but I figure that since I clicked on it, in a small way I helped contribute to them though Youtube advertising.

"It's criminal to have this much fun in the woods...." That's where I stopped it was very early into it.

Don

P.S. In spite of their retort in the article.
        It's still true - ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Comment

Working...
        X