Garmin gpsmap 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin gpsmap 60

I’m new to GPS units. Would a Garmin GPS map 60 still be a viable choice purchased used in perfect condition for $70? Thank you for any input

Sounds like a good deal to me. Know that model is old and archaic interface but sensitivity and battery life are above average. I use mine often and it works great with rechargeable AA batteries.

I paid around $200 for used one perhaps 3 years ago. It was very popular and replacement clips and even battery cover are still available.

Comment

I have four of them that I use for my SAR team and for Yukon River canoe racing. This is the model that was issued to NYSDEC Rangers a few years ago, but have since replaced most of them with newer models. I have no complaints with the old 60. As a matter of fact I bought the model 62 when it came out and hated it, as it ate batteries. The old 60s keep running after 24+ hours (most important during the 24+ hour Yukon races; I run two of them side by side with different displays). But I could set my watch when the 62 batteries (lithium) run out at just 7 hours time after time. I almost threw the dang thing in the river. My SAR team also has a 64 and a 66, but I still prefer the 60 the best, for a couple of other reasons beyond battery life. I found a spare 60 on ebay, which I snatched up quickly. i would advise anyone to do the same. Note, Garmin no longer supports the 60 with system updates, so you take what you can get.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Absolutely worth getting. I have two and use them a lot--skiing, canoeing, and train riding
        "Days in the woods are days beyond time"--Paul Jamieson

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
          Absolutely worth getting. I have two and use them a lot--skiing, canoeing, and train riding
          I have one, and can’t for the life of me figure out how to link it to software any more...I can’t find my old key code to unlock the last version I had, so I feel like I’m stuck. Any tips would be appreciated.
          “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Working...
          X