Sleeping bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping bag

I open it up hang it on the line when I get home, but not directly in the sun.

After it is aired out/dried, I zip it up and then lay it on a bed in the spare bedroom. Lacking the bed, if it's placed on a tarp or old blanket under a bed it will keep it's loft. You can also put a fabric softener sheet inside the bag to keep a fresh scent.

I put it in it's stuff sack only when i am packing my gear for trip.

Once or twice a year, I lubricate the zipper with silicone.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Once I've aired my bag out I keep it losely stowed in a large cotton laundry bag provided by the manufacturer, Feathered Friends. It hangs in a spare closet.

Comment

Lately, I've been stuffing them up first thing in the morning (usually after a rainy ngiht) so they don't get a chance to dry out the damp air before coming home. I throw them in the dryer for 20 minutes and then store them in king size pillowcases.
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
      It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
        I open it up hang it on the line when I get home, but not directly in the sun.
        Redhawk, why not in the sun? Is there a disadvantage to this? I know that by putting my boots in sunlight, the UV kills the "stink", does this have a negative effect on bags?
        Sometimes I think better with my head in the clouds...

Comment

Originally posted by NukedRocket View Post
          Redhawk, why not in the sun? Is there a disadvantage to this? I know that by putting my boots in sunlight, the UV kills the "stink", does this have a negative effect on bags?
          Depends on the outer shell. many of the lightweight materials deteriorate when subject to UV.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Sleeping bag care for me are mainly:
            Store it un-compressed in large cotton storage bag.
            I also try to always use a liner, cotton in the summer, spring, and fall, and I have a hollow fiber/synthetic liner for winter camping (liners are easily washed).
            Someday maybe I'll buy a "silk" liner (wooo-wooo).

My sleeping bags last for years and they stay pretty odor free, and clean.

JJW

Comment

My bag is stored hanging on a line in my camping stuff room in the attic.
              "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                My bag is stored hanging on a line in my camping stuff room in the attic.
                When I bought my bag(synthetic), I was advised against hanging the bag vertically for storage. The reason was, the insulation in each baffle will settle at the bottom of the baffle and "bunch", creating empty spaces in each baffle, which will reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. Perhaps this may not be your best method of storage? Of course,YMMV
                Sometimes I think better with my head in the clouds...

Comment

Huh?

So why not store them in your bag compressed? What exactly does this do? Is it bad???

Comment

Originally posted by dudenchikn View Post
                    So why not store them in your bag compressed? What exactly does this do? Is it bad???
                    When you store your bag compressed it takes up very little space and you tend to forget all about it and what it represents. When you hang it uncompressed it's more volumnious and you see it more, it's more in your face. This reminds you of the good times you had on your last outing and motivates you to plan the next trip.

And there's the small detail of storing the insulating material uncompressed versus compressed which isn't good for it.
                    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

are there any types of insulation more prone to irreversibl compaction during long term storage than others? how does down compare to synthetics?
                      He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by NukedRocket View Post
                        When I bought my bag(synthetic), I was advised against hanging the bag vertically for storage. The reason was, the insulation in each baffle will settle at the bottom of the baffle and "bunch", creating empty spaces in each baffle, which will reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. Perhaps this may not be your best method of storage? Of course,YMMV
                        Never thought of that. I had been hanging em for years, probably because that is the way my dad did it. Hmmm I think I might have ruined my bag and need to go get a new one. Think I can sell that excuse to my wife?
                        "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                          When you store your bag compressed it takes up very little space and you tend to forget all about it and what it represents. When you hang it uncompressed it's more volumnious and you see it more, it's more in your face. This reminds you of the good times you had on your last outing and motivates you to plan the next trip.

And there's the small detail of storing the insulating material uncompressed versus compressed which isn't good for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                            Never thought of that. I had been hanging em for years, probably because that is the way my dad did it. Hmmm I think I might have ruined my bag and need to go get a new one. Think I can sell that excuse to my wife?
                            It's worked on my wife for years! Remind her bags are seasonal items, you need a new one every spring.

The Wilderness Photography of Gary F. Dean
                            facebook photography of Gary F. Dean

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!

Comment

Originally posted by hobbitling View Post
                              are there any types of insulation more prone to irreversibl compaction during long term storage than others? how does down compare to synthetics?
                              The discussions on VfTT seem to tend towards more permament damage to synthetics from long term storae stuffed.

I know down is easily refluffed. If I've accidetnally stored it stuffed then a quick 15 minutes in the dryer restores it lovely loft.

Neil, isn't that the 'In Your Face" model of sleeping bag? Your hiking record will attest to it's reliability.
                              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                              It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X