No announcement yet.

Sleeping bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We only keep any of our bags in stuff sacks while actually out on the trail.

When we get home, I let them dry in the air a few days (out of sunlight) and then I store them individually in contractor garbage bags with the tops open.

I am fortunate to have a loft in my garage (unheated) that is dedicated to our outdoor stuff, so room is not much of a problem.
    Tom
    --getting lost is not a waste of time

Comment

I currently own three bags. Two (one down, one synthetic) are draped over a clothsline in the basement. The third (down) is in a "laundry bag." Never had a problem.

Comment

Wiggys for me - wash it and store it anyway you want. Fibers are statically charged and repel one another to retain loft.

Comment

My bag is in the stuff bag only when on the trail. At home it stays in the large sack that came with it.

Comment

my bag has assumed an oder that is driving me nuts. Is there a reason not to wash them.

Comment

I wash both of mine (synthetic and down) at least once a year (usually at the beginning of the season)... sometimes twice if I'm lucky enough to get that many trips in.

The main thing is that it needs to be washed in a FRONT LOAD washer, as the agitation and spin cycle of your standard top-loader can damage the bag.
              and only use about half (or less) of the detergent that you normally would.
              Live each day as if it were your last....

because one day, it WILL be

Comment

I'm interested to know whether UV will damage a synthetic sleeping bag with a nylon outer. I recently bought a used Military Modular Sleep System bag. It's very warm and compresses nicely, but even after a washing, It still smells like a sweaty guy ate cheeto's in it.

I would like to try leaving it hanging out in the sun if this is advisable.

Comment

MaximusFunk24, my semi-experienced, semi-knowledgeable hunch would be that UV rays would not damage your bag unless left out for a significant period of time (multiple days).

I try like hell not to get my sleeping bags soiled or funky in any way (go to sleep as clean as possible, wearing clean long underwear) and store them in the large cotton bag they usually come in (not the stuff sack). I've had no problems and can't recall ever washing a sleeping bag. Then again, I don't use them often enough.

Comment

+1 on the front-loading washing machines. They've made it far, far easier to keep my sleeping bags clean.

Comment

Working...
                    X