Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots

Hey All, looking for a high ankle boot to hike/backpack in, I have weak ankles ad rooked ankles are a real danger for me. Any suggestions of a boot with very good ankle support? I can go with a 200g insulated 8 inch boot but im lookong for uninsulated for warm weather. Thanks
    "I do it for the challenge and I refuse to lose"

https://www.limmercustomboot.com
    The best boot you will ever wear.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
      https://www.limmercustomboot.com
      The best boot you will ever wear.
      The best, most comfortable boot on the planet.

Comment

Limmer Boots have an incredible reputation BUT there may be a backlog. If you need boots now, I'd take a look at Schnee's mountain boots. There have an incredible selection of high-quality leather boots.

https://schnees.com/schnees/mountain-boots/

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
          Limmer Boots have an incredible reputation BUT there may be a backlog. If you need boots now, I'd take a look at Schnee's mountain boots. There have an incredible selection of high-quality leather boots.

https://schnees.com/schnees/mountain-boots/
          Limmer does have quite a backlog for custom boots however, they sell stock boots made at the shop and available for in person purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by bluequill View Post
            Limmer does have quite a backlog for custom boots however, they sell stock boots made at the shop and available for in person purchase.
            In past dedades, Limmer was well known for custom made boots ($$$) for difficult to size feet, albeit with a very long watiting period. Then they started disttributing standard siizes via localized vendors. I bought my first pair from the Mountainteer in Keene off the shelf. They fit comfortably perfectly and lasted for thousands of miles, and never leaked a drop. After a while they realized that random vendors did not have the traiing to properly sell or size the product. Then I visited the shop while on a trip through New England with my wife, looking for another pair. My size was not in stock at the shop so it had to be ordered from Germany. My wife walked away with two different pair of different types that day and mine arrived a couple of weeks later in the mail. She was wearing hers today in the cold rain while working as an official at a canoe race.
            Last edited by Wldrns; 11-27-2022, 09:43 AM.
            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by bluequill View Post
              Exactly...only available for in-person purchase which is either a curse or a blessing. The OP is looking at a 400+ mile round trip. A lot of time and cost especially if he finds their boots simply do not fit quite right.

That is not uncommom. Scarpa, Lowa, Hanwag, and Zamberlan never fit my feet correctly whereas Schnees fits like a glove. I don't know why but feet and fitting can be a difficult marriage. Not every boot fits every foot.

I would never choose the Limmer option unless I had a reason to be there or was going to make a trip out of it and spend an overnight or weekend. Even so, all that time and money could be for naught.

I'd first do my homework to find out how a Company's boot fit typically runs and then mail order from places that have a generous return policy. Schnees is one as is Black Ovis. Crispi is another company that has devoted following.

Comment

Yeah I'd just do some Zappos testing to start. Order a few pairs of high cut boots and see what feels best. I know from recent purchases that Scarpa and Lowa make full high tops, and I think Crispi does too (not sure you can get Crispi from Zappos though).

Scarpa, Lowa, Asolo, Salomon are decent brands to look into.

For hiking/backpacking I actually went to a very low mid cut, almost sneaker-type boot. I love it. But my ankles seem to have no issues. For skiing I'm very much different and I want a boot with a lot of ankle support but also freedom for walking/striding. So in that sense I understand what the OP wants.

Comment

I think Keen and Merrell hiking boots will suit your choice. In terms of design, Keen hiking boots are known to have a modern design. They have instituted other features that fit well with those younger hikers. As for Merrell shoes, their design is similar to the traditional shoes of the fast but with modern features.
                  Last edited by sander07; 12-01-2022, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X