Boot question, wearing on inside of heel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot question, wearing on inside of heel

Hi everyone, I've got an older pair of three-season Vasque hiking boots, Goretex and waterproof exterior and all that. On the inside of the heel of one of the pair, the webbing-like material has worn away. Since they are an older pair of boots, I've already bought a new pair for use while hiking, but I figured I could use the old pair for everyday use to and from work during snow and heavy rain. My question is, how effective would it be to put a piece of duct tape (or similar material) along the worn part on the inside of the heel so as to cut down on chafing and wear-and-tear on whatever socks I wear with the boot. Has anyone tried this? I'm not so concerned with the breathability of the worn spot, since I won't be doing much heavy-duty exercise in the old boots. Thanks!

Edited a typo.

Comment

Should help but it might only last for one or two hikes before it starts to peel off.

FWIW, I wore through the heels of both of my winter boots. I made a patch out of fleece fabric and used ShoeGoo to glue it in place. It has held in place but I'm now starting to wear through the new fleece! Maybe I should've used leather.
      Looking for views!

Comment

Not that this answers your question, but is the sole worn more on the inside as well? What kind of insoles do you use?
        http://edthesmokebeard.com/

Comment

The sole is still in very good shape. Strangely, it's only the inside part of the heel which has worn out on this boot.

Comment

My first question is, are they older enough to be the real Vasque, from back when they were made by Vasque, in Italy or the new Chinese made junk Vasque corporate puts out with their label? If they are the originals, well worth having them reworked and put another several hundered miles on them. Use the new ones to mow your lawn, they aint gonna last long.
            Good boots weren't designed to work with the modern american corporate buy/waste/profit/repeat paradigm. They were made like a car, when the tire ran bald, you don't replace your whole car, you get new tires and use the same car through several sets...
            Now I know what you're saying, "I haven't seen a shoemaker/Cobbler around here in years". Remember when every town had one? Not a problem, when my Alico Summits or my Scarpa SL-M3's, both made in Italy, not China, need new soles, or any other repair work, they will go straight to Dave Page, no question.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

Comment

There is no substitute for quality.
              Danner boots have always served me well.
              Jim

Comment

I fixed an old pair of light hikers that had some kind of non-leather material by using a goretex patch (had it handy for tent repairs) and covered it with shoe goo. It lasted a while, but the shoe goo will eventually start to peel.

Comment

Working...
                X