Terror Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror Lake

Has anyone been to Terror Lake recently? Looks interesting and challenging.

I'm guessing of the 1 or 2 people who get out there every 5 years, the chances of them answering you is not all that great...

I've never been up there, but how do you plan on going? What is your goal? Do you just want to see the shore and hike back? Or are you planning to try to get a boat out there and/or spend the night?

I'd assume most people follow Andy's Creek to get out there. That may or may not be the easiest way. It's a little over 4 miles to follow the creek from the lean-to. I'd say that's definitely on the scope of overnight for me, or at least being prepared for an overnight. An early start from Andes or the Gulls could make it a day trip.

Personally I'd probably try attacking from the Upper Gull lean-to. The trail is easy up to there and that'll probably cut off at least a mile of trying to follow the creek - which there may be a herd path but I don't know. Even if there is, for what I know of PLW, it's unlikely to be easy to follow. Even following the creek may prove to be a real challenge.

Anyway - I recall there being hardwood - maple-beech-birch on the hills just to the north of the Gulls, I'd probably skirt around the upper Gull there, pick up the creek on the north side of the lake, follow that north, then north-east and try to find the passage between the two wetlands on the south-east side of Terror.

If you can find a sat image of the area in winter, that might be helpful. I didn't check the history but the current Google map image has leaves on, so it's tough to tell where the spruce flats might be - I'd avoid those if you can.

Comment

Right, it has been well more than 5 years since I was last in there. I Know I did use the Andys creek approach for the most part, and did include the gulls initial route if only as an extra destination to check off and see. Only was there for a one night stay, don't remember much detail, except that there were wet muddy spots along the way on Andys. Such destinations are fun buwhwhacks and good and relatively safe easy fool proof routes for developing and honing your land nav skills.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I'm guessing there's probably not a lot to see from the shore... but it looks like one of those lakes (by the morphology) that would be really fun if you can get on it. Perhaps a float tube might be best?

Comment

https://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4437

here is a thread about Terror Lake. Years ago I went in by canoe with Gary Dean by way of Andy's The way pondhopper did When Gary an I did it by chance we met ponhopper up there on his way out . He had made another trip.

Comment

Originally posted by pondhopper View Post
            Took the canoe into there for a daytrip today. (Hornbeck Blackjack)
            It wasn't bad for a 12 lb. solo canoe from the boatlaunch at Big Moose Lake and carrying up to the lean-to at Upper Gull Lake. On the trip up, I should've put the canoe into Lower Gull and avoided falling up to my waist in a bog hole....I did on the way back . When I started carrying fom the east end of Upper Gull towards Andy's Creek, I was surprised to find a blazed trail leading me to Andy's Cr.. (Left side of Gull's Outlet). Little wet walking out to the stillwater on Andy's...headed upstream and found a blazed portage trail on the right side to the next stillwater. 50 yds up and had to portage over a little beaverdam and put into the long stillwater. Surprised to find a 16 foot aluminum canoe sitting there to the left near the small dam @ the head of the long stillwater. Took the left stream entering....as noted on the map and was able to go approx. 1/2 mile up it and had 4-5 logs to go over. Finally, the alders began to close in and had to carry parallel from there up to Terror Lake. Sadly, only had time to go out around the island with the canoe before heading back.

I moved fast and light: 3 hours up and 2 hours 15 minutes back (downhill).

Copied from the other thread - thanks Bob.

I didn't read this prior, but this is what I'd do. I'd probably just paddle across Upper Gull too.

Looks like you could do it as an overnight or spend a night at the Upper Gull lean-to and out and back as a day trip. I'd probably opt for the day trip and go light from the LT.

Comment

Stripper guy an I were talking about doing this , But things changed for me an I can't Maybe he'll jump in

Comment

Unfortunately Pondhopper has permanently departed this wilderness several years ago. He and Bill I. and I made a couple of very enjoyable backcountry trips together.
                Last edited by Wldrns; 04-13-2022, 04:23 PM.
                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Yup, I’m planning a Terror Lake visit this season, staying at Gull Lakes and day tripping to Terror with boat(s)

Comment

Thanks everyone, it sounds like one of the few places left to find solitude in the Daks. It’s all about journey.

Comment

Working...
                    X