What if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if...

I'm looking at the current geopolitical climate (the war) and wondering about what would happen if we had a nuclear strike in the NE USA. I think the pandemic has enlightened many of us to the possibility that things very unlikely to happen, can in fact, actually happen.

How to think about this? On one extreme you have the preppers, on the other extreme people that go about their life as if it won't happen. I find myself somewhere in the middle. Being the boy scout that I am, I'm wondering what to do now to prepare for that (hopefully never occuring) situation.

I find it interesting how the pandemic has inched us closer in preparation to a disaster scenario. Who would think there would be a run on TP. But now I find myself stocking more of the things I use. I also realize that I'm not into stocking things I don't routinely use like survival rations. I think to myself, What else?

As outdoor people on this forum, I believe we are far better equipped to handle disasters through skills such as making shelter, purifying water, even procuring food; and self sufficiency mindset. But these outdoor based skills are usually used in the outdoors. And what if everyone heads to, or wants to head to, the outdoors (read Adirondacks)? I doubt the local IGA in the Adirondacks could support a more than 100% increase in demand.

So stocking gas for a great escape might only seem necessary if you are close to or downwind of a target. Plattsburg?

If you are into what if scenario planning, I welcome your thoughts?
    Last edited by John H Swanson; 04-01-2022, 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

If civilization and the human population collapse in any of the spectacular ways that are popularly discussed my personal hope is to die off in the first wave and not have to cope with the extraordinary difficulties and troubles that would ensue.

Comment

In my way of thinking I would want to survive. My sole purpose would be to protect and provide for my wife and family. I would hole up in my house and stay there as long as possible. I would only head out into the wild as a last resort, although I’m prepared to do so. Being a Boy Scout & a Veteran I’m prepared and have been prepared for many years. Fortunately for me I can take a Whitetail where I live if needed. Unfortunately for all of us our supplies will eventually run out and then survival begins. I believe that the “have not’s” will go after those of us who do, and that is where self defense comes to play, and I strongly believe that training and preparation for that is necessary. These are just my own thoughts and beliefs and how I would handle things. Hopefully this will never happen and we can live in peace and quiet……..

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
        In my way of thinking I would want to survive. My sole purpose would be to protect and provide for my wife and family. I would hole up in my house and stay there as long as possible. ....

I believe that the ?have not?s? will go after those of us who do, and that is where self defense comes to play, and I strongly believe that training and preparation for that is necessary.
        If a nuclear situation continued for a long time or was so large from the onset, then I think people might turn on themselves as often depicted in the world of film. But I think this would not happen for quite some time.

As I look at modern day war in both the Ukraine and previous conflicts, I see many instances of humanity helping itself. I would like to think this would happen at least for some (hopefully a long) time. No doubt the ugly stories of preditory violence occur in modern day conflicts, but are not seen as often. The press loves the feel good stories.

I think a more likely sitiation would be large masses of refugees or people fleeing from areas without resources (read: food) to other places where food remains, or places where they think it remains. Much like the current situation in Ukraine. Pleople are fleeing the violence of war but in relality they are fleeing towards places where they can live and secure food for the day after tomorrow. As long as there remains a place to support the refugees, then I like to believe society will largely remain civil.

But perhaps remaining civil in this situation depends largely on the culture and history of the people involved. I believe we as Americans are quite selfish. IMO we do not handle deprivation well. If the news and internet stories are an indicator, we often resort to violence when we don't get our way. So I fear the US has a greater chance for a breakdown of civility in this situation than other countries. How I love this country but I'm starting to realize perhaps it is not the place to be if a nuclear war occurs. Tangent thought: I do enjoy freeedom of speach.

Separately, there are countries without food security. I wonder if we can learn from them better ways to prepare both as individuals and as a community and a country.

Comment

Think EMP as a weapon. Only the most brutal would survive.

"One Second After" by William Forstchen
          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

There is nothing to worry about or plan for when it comes a nuclear strike between Russia and the West. This will end humanity as we know it. There might be a few stragglers in remote places but they will not be in America and southern Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
              There is nothing to worry about or plan for when it comes a nuclear strike between Russia and the West. This will end humanity as we know it. There might be a few stragglers in remote places but they will not be in America and southern Canada.
              I used to think the same thing but now I'm not so sure. What I see with the war in Ukraine leads me to believe it won't be a quick occurance but I'm not an expert on the subject. For sure whatever happens will be ugly. Perhaps Zach's response is the most appropriote.

Comment

From what I understand, I think Bunchberry is right. If nuclear weapons started flying it would be the utter annihilation of both the attacker and defender because of Mutually Assured Destruction. I could be totally wrong on all of this, and please let me know if I am, but I thought that MAD is what acts as the deterrent for Nuclear War. Living through it almost sounds worst than the blast if the theories that a blanket of soot would cover the planet within 2 weeks are true.
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
                In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
                And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
                But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
                ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

Working...
                X