Lean-to litter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean-to litter.

I took a recent trip into a lake and lean-to in the western ADKs. Upon arrival I noticed that someone had left five cans of sardines and oysters. While this is not the crime of the century, the perp left his name, business cards and 46er # in the LT register.

This guy obviously didn't learn anything from climbing the 46 and has never heard of LNT or "Carry In, Carry Out". This guy is also a photographer and has never heard of "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos".

I guess these cans were just too heavy to haul out, but how stupid to leave your name, occupation, 46er # and admit the "crime"!

What would hapen if everyone did this?

A few years ago my Son and I went on a lean-to cleaning trip with Justin and his dog Jenny . We had a great time . I even dropped my camera into a pond ... retrieved it of course....After looking the leanto over I was glad we had tents.
    Last edited by backwoodsman; 06-30-2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Clean up your mess:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AShO_NeQ22k

Might be worth an info call to the local region 6 forest renger.
      https://www.dec.ny.gov/about/667.html#Region_6

This incident of a can of sardines may not rise to the level of a serious environmental violation, but for those that do:

Report an Environmental Violation Onlinehttps://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/67751.html
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

My wife , our kids and I cleaned up a campsite next to a waterfall about 10 years ago. The campers had left their tent , sleeping bags food , cooking gear and even thrown empty beer cans into the woods. I contacted the DEC prior to the cleaning and they were very grateful for the help.

Comment

Holy zombie thread resurrection batman.
          "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

You're just pissed because he didn't leave you any crackers or hot sauce

Comment

Sadly it is true lean-tos are a magnet for many people. Misuse, abuse, trash, and other things left behind is not at all uncommon. A 46er status means nothing in this regard.

Comment

Years ago, a bunch of us spent a weekend hunting out of a lean-to where someone had left two big cans of tomatoes behind. My college buddy, a retired U.S. Marine who will eat anything, carried them out. Can't pass up free food!
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Working...
                X