Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Mark J

Blue Hole, Otisco NY

Another thread under Trip Reports featured a discussion of the Blue Hole in Otisco, Onondaga Co. While outside the ADKs, this seems to be a topic of interest on this board, though that thread died out over 18 months ago.

So, has anyone been there lately who would like to discuss it, has pics to share or a trip report regarding access?

I creekwalked to the Blue Hole in August, 2003 and returned to the area to scout other potential access points from public roads in September, 2006.

To get any new discussion off of the right foot, many property owners in the Blue Hole area are sensitive to public access. I seek, advocate and use safe and lawful access only. There are plenty of safe and legal places to go and things to do without getting involved in trespass or dangerous activities. However it's also true that there is generally more than one possible approach to any point on the surface of the earth. Land ownership changes hands, and posted or non-posted status does change from time to time.

That said, who has been to the Blue Hole in Rattlesnake Gulf lately, or who wants to go check it out?
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
fingerlakeshiker

While I am a central NYer I have been by otisco lake ,but have not heard of blue hole, what is it ?
fingerlakeshiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlakeshiker View Post
While I am a central NYer I have been by otisco lake ,but have not heard of blue hole, what is it ?
Really just a little tributary crick for Otisco lake, about 1/4 the size of 9 mile creek. Up the hill a bit from the lake. A 20 ' <give or take > vertical waterfall has made a deep hole where it lands.
Been a few decades since I was there last. Doubt I'd dive off the top now , but back when I was younger and invincible ( along with many others ) had many good times there.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Mark J

I believe you may be thinking of a different location. The Blue Hole in Otisco is in Rattlesnake Gulf, a tributary of Onondaga Creek running parallel to Otisco Rd at the base of Bare Mountain. It does not flow into Otisco Lake and is more than four miles away from the lake. It's also not a place you can dive off the top of -- at least not more than once! The Blue Hole is a pothole in an active waterfall. Access is limited by posted private property, steep terrain and soils that are unstable when wet. The area is known for landslides.

There are many places in the world called Blue Hole, but as far as I know, this is the only place in NY to go by this name.

Mark
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

I stand corrected Mark , I had just assumed it ran into the lake . Like I said , it has been many years since I was there.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Jason

My parents-in-law have a place on Otisco Lake and I'm pretty sure there is no blue hole there (whatever a blue hole is). There is a cool glen, however, that makes for a nice exploratory walk.

Cany anyone provide specific details as to where this blue hole is with all due warnings about private property, etc.? I'd check it out if I could find an appropriate route or could get there on the waterway itself, considering all safety hazards.