Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
IT_Hiker

Cold Brook Pass

I'm planning on a hike in the High Peaks region in May (17th or 18th). The trip I want to do is as follows:
1) Start --> ADK Loj
2) Indian Pass Trail
3) Cold Brook Pass ('tween Marshal and Iroquois Mts) to Colden Lake
4) Avalanche Lake to Marcy Dam
5) Finnish --> ADK Loj

Now for the question:
Is it easier going up Cold Brook Pass the planned way (heading South-East), or coming from Lake Colden and heading towards Indian Pass (North-West)?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I read a thread here where they mention it, but for me, it is none too clear.
IT_Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Backpacker

It's been awhile since I've hiked it but the trail between Marshal & Iroquois was the worst trail I've been on. It winds it's way up the pass and hard to find at times! We did it the way you posted.
Good luck
Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
JoeCedar

typical ADK trail

It is steep, rocky, rough and wet on both sides. The col is about 3900 feet, compared to Indian Pass Brook at 2500 feet and Lake Colden at 2700 feet. There are some nice waterfalls on the LC side; I have always waited for a warm day with no bugs so I could go up there for a swim in the pools.

In the col, you might want to take a side trip to Mt Marshall, less than 0.5 mi away with not much climbing. The herdpath starts at a cairn in the pass and is rather grown-in. Good path following skills needed.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
IT_Hiker

Bummer. I have bad knees and some strange issue were my heart beats fast while I get a chest pain when I do a lot of "stepping up". No, it isn't a heart attack. If it was, then I've had over a 100 so far. Dr says it's gas. Yeah, you read that correctly. Either way, it is a horrible feeling and I don't think Cold Brook Pass is for me. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Tom McG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_Hiker View Post
Bummer. I have bad knees and some strange issue were my heart beats fast while I get a chest pain when I do a lot of "stepping up". No, it isn't a heart attack. If it was, then I've had over a 100 so far. Dr says it's gas. Yeah, you read that correctly. Either way, it is a horrible feeling and I don't think Cold Brook Pass is for me. Thanks for the info.
Get a second opinion. Most heart problems aren't the chest grabbing, arm numbing kind you see on TV. He could very well be right …but !!!!
Tom McG
Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

I've been through Cold Brook Pass (aka Iroquois Pass, aka MacIntyre Pass) a couple times. The trail itsself is easy to follow all the way through the pass. It is much steeper and eroded on the Colden side, and has the charactor of a shallow stream on the Indian Brook side. If I went again, I would rather climb up the trail from Colden and descend to Indian Brook in a clock-wise loop. If you opt to climb a mountain on that loop trip, a side-trip up to Marshall via the herd path from the height of land would be much easier than bushwhacking up to Shepherd's Tooth or Iroquois via the cliff band that guards the north side of the pass.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McG View Post
Get a second opinion. Most heart problems aren't the chest grabbing, arm numbing kind you see on TV. He could very well be right …but !!!!
Tom McG
Tom is right.

Heart disease can only definitively be ruled out by a cardiac catheterization. If you had not had one, I would get a second opinion.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

A great trip you have planned if you end up going for it. This route was my first backpacking trip up there. With a sidetrip back to Scott and Wallface Ponds. I enjoyed Cold Brook Pass and like Joe Cedar said it's not really any worse than most Adirondack trails. Wish I had known Marshall was so close off the Pass when I did it. My brother in law and I wanted to do Algonquin and Iroquois, but by the time we made it down to Lake Colden and the about half way up Algonquin we were to beat to keep going and turned around to head back to camp. The fact that it was the hottest, most humid weather I've ever seen up there didn't help!
Hope the heart problem is nothing too serious!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Pete_Hickey

With a full pack, I'd rather go up the Indian Pass side, and down the Colden side. Doing it that way, there is more ascent than descent, and my knees do better on the ascent.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
IT_Hiker

Thanks all for your responses.

As for the trip... I think we'll shoot for the Indian Pass side to go up and down on the Colden side. If we get to the base and see it's too steep (cause xjbone says I'm a wuss), we'll head up a bit more on Indian Pass and then back to Heart Loj. Either way, it should be a great trip.

As for my heart. The doctor I went to see said it was just gas, but I do have an appointment with a cardiologist and plan on getting a sonogram of my heart and the area around it. If it looks bad I think I just have it removed. It is pretty useless like the appendix, right?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

There are no trails in the Adirondacks (that I've been on) that are "too steep" to hike with a pack, but I do have preferences as to which direction I do the steep ones. The trail through Cold Brook Pass is not one of those steep trails. Have fun!

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote