Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
SOFAS

DeBar Mt.

On the way to pick up my son from Clarkson, I scheduled a side trip to climb DeBar Mt Friday. Having camped at Fish Creek Pond the night before, I was able to get to Meacham Lake State Park before 7 AM. The gate to the park was open so I could drive in and park in the campground. I elected to park there since the dirt road to the actual trailhead parking lot was a mix of soft dirt (not quite mud - more like beach sand) and packed snow/ice. The road had several deep tire ruts from someone who may have had a little trouble with traction. That's not the type of road I want to try and drive with my mini-van. Parking in the campground only added 5 minutes each way to the hike. The way to the trailhead is clearly marked.

The first part of the trail to DeBar is a very gentle climb on something close to a dirt road. The trail was mostly dry with only a few muddy patches. It did however have a lot of blow down on the trail especially as you got close to the lean-to. The lean-to was clear of trash. Someone went to way too much work to hammer their initials in nails in the floor of the lean-to. The lean-to has a nice box for the notebook, but there was no notebook in there. If you're going to camp at the lean-to, be sure to bring a saw. With all the blow down in the area, you can have a real good campfire.

After the lean-to, the trail gets much steeper up to the summit. After seeing snow on the road to the trailhead, I was wondering how much I would run into on the way up. As it turns out the trail was almost completely clear of snow and ice. I only had to side step a few patches near the top.

When I got to the top, most of the view south was obscured by clouds so I didn't stay long. It was a bit chilly on top. I didn't see any other hikers on the trail.
SOFAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Ross
Administrator

nice TR.

KurtVon and I on this forum go to clarkson

azure is another nice mountain on the way to clarkson, its closer though, its on route 458 about half an hour from campus and theres a firetower at the sumit
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
SOFAS

We did Azure a couple of years ago. It is a nice hike. We made the mistake of driving to it on the road from the south (near Paul Smith's). As I recall, most of it was a dirt road.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFAS View Post
We did Azure a couple of years ago. It is a nice hike. We made the mistake of driving to it on the road from the south (near Paul Smith's). As I recall, most of it was a dirt road.
Pffft. That's the most fun way to get to Azure. It's a much prettier drive than taking the long (albeit quicker) way around.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
SOFAS

You know how those mini-vans aren't much good for exciting driving. Planning on anything interesting this weekend?