Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
hydronaut
North Country Exile

Ducks

Anyone know some decent places in the ADKs to hunt ducks? the only place i have ever heard about were the tupper lake marshes. I am not looking to barge in on some ones honey hole but just a general idea. I was also wondering if anyone has seen any banded birds come from the Adirondacks.
hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
frogge

Not a hunter

Hey,
I haven't hunted in 30 yrs. and thus am not up on the regs. Can tell you that the marsh around Northwest Bay on Lake George is loaded with ducks in the fall. I put in my canoe at the state boat launch and expect you could hunt from a canoe there is legal. I used to live in Latham, and if you are not wedded to driving all the way to the Dacks, great duck huinting is available on the Mohawk below lock 7. You can put in at the "train Station" in nyskayuna. A short canoe up or downstream puts you between marshy islands. During Duck season it would sound like a war zone just after sunup. Hope this helps. If you pot any please save the feathers near the oil gland(cul du canard), the flank feathers from any wood ducks and send them to me. ( the cul du canard feathers are more expensive than gold per once and are used for tying drys and emergers.) Toodles,Frogge.
frogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
toothlessannie

Lake Champlain has UNLIMITED possibilities, there are boat launches scattered over the entire lower end, the marshes extend for miles and miles. Make sure you have a small game license, duck stamp, HIP #, non-toxic shot and a plug for your shotgun.
toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
hydronaut
North Country Exile

champlain ducks

I used to live on champlain very near point au rouche on Montys bay. I hunted ducks alot when I was there and took a few as well. I would often awake to the sound of the guns on fall mornings. Now awake to the sound of my neighbor's ATV.
hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote