Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Kyler
Admin

Asolo 520 vs. LL Bean Cresta

Both of these boots seem to get lots of praise. I'm curious to know if anyone has had first hand experience with both boots and has a comparison.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've a pair of the Asolo 520s, and while I've never had a pair of the crestas I used to use LLBean hiking boots exclusively. My Asolos have lasted me a lot longer than any of my LLBean boots ever did, and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. This weekend, I was hiking with one boot untied for a few miles, never even noticed (my gaiters covered the laces up). Never had any blisters with the Asolos either.

If you do get the Crestas, however, get the solid leather ones instead of the leather/fabric combo. They will last longer.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Boreal Chickadee

We're big Cresta fans. My son and I both have them. Both full leather.
The Crestas are an Italian made boot and of much higher quality than many other Bean boots.
I have wide feet and the Crestas fit. I had other brands before but these were awesome compared to them.

Have you considered Limmers? Mountain___ in Keene Valley sells them but I had to have new boots immediately and couldn't take the chance that theirs wouldn't be a good fit so I ordered another Cresta pair. I love my Crestas but I hear such wonderful things about Limmer that someday I'll try them on. That place is never open when I go through there.

My first pair I kept for 7 years, I think. I waited way too long before getting a new pair as I had worn out the soles and finally took a good fall coming off Saddleback. Maybe that's a bad fall. When the new ones arrived I was stunned at how much tread I had worn out. But I wear them 10 months a year(snow yes) and put heavy use on them. They are now yard boots. Incidentally the Gore tex was still pretty good. The uppers were beat up and I didn't realize how soft they had gotten until I got the new boots.

You know how you're supposed to break new boots in? Well the new ones came in the mail and I had 3 hours with them around the house before wearing them up Allen. I had one fair size heel blister and two tiny ones on the ends of my toes. I knew that would happen but I wanted the tread for the infamous Allen slide.That was a month ago and they're now nicely broken in. Funny thing about new boots. The same thing happened when I got the first pair except I wore them straight out of the box for Pyramid through Lower Wolf Jaw and got the same blisters.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=1743

I'm on my second pair in 4+ years. First pair are still in good enough shape to be used in the winter. Very comfortable.

No experience with any LL Bean products.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee View Post
Have you considered Limmers? Mountain___ in Keene Valley sells them...
The Mountaineer in Keene used to sell them off the shelf. I bought a pair there a few years ago. Without question the best boots I have ever owned for fit, comfort, durability, and for keeping my feet dry.

My Limmers are still going strong, but when I decided to get a second pair I sadly found that the Mountaineer no longer carries them. Upon calling Limmer I was told they no longer sell through vendors.
"Ken" from Limmer wrote me: "Sorry for the disappointment. The economics of importing a high quality product and wholesaling it just proved too marginal to continue. We are actively selling the boots via mail order. It will be a while before we actually start any online sales as it is very difficult for a person to get the right fit without some assistance in sizing. I am attaching both tracing/measuring instructions as well as an order form. Please follow the instructions as close as possible as this is the information we use to determine your most likely size."

Rather than trace my foot, I'll be in the NH area next month anyway so I'm going to drive to their shop next month to get another pair.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Naturlvr73

go with the crestas!

Well I've never tried the Limmers...did try the Asolo. Thank goodness for EMS! They took them back. They killed my feet. I have narrow heels but I need a wide toe box and the Crestas are perfect! My husband meanwhile has flat feet and the Crestas work well for him too. We've had ours for 5 years, and they are still in fine shape...I use mine year round....for day hiking , backpacking and snowshoeing.
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Simon1
Woodsandwater

520's all the way

I have now been through five pair of the Asolo 520 GTX. Can't have'em without Gore-Tex, especially around here. I am on my sixth pair now. I would have to say that they are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Right out of the box they feel like an old favorite. I liked the old styling better than the 'new' style they started three years ago. I wear my 520's everyday, can't beat'em. The only problem I have had is that I wear the soles off before the boot really seems to be done. The uppers are still in relatively good order but the soles are smooth. I wish Asolo could re-sole my old boots for me. But then I wouldn't be buying a new pair every year. Not good for Asolo, but better for the environment...
Old 10-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Kyler
Admin

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the 520s. I haven't been out on the trail with them yet, but they feel good walking around the house.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
HeatherPiper

I just bought a pair of Asolo 520s, too. I love them. Easily the most comfortable boot I've ever owned.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
hikercop45
fat old hiker of the woods

Hi there,
I have a pair of Crestas and I love them - being a landwhale ( 6'2 - 290 ) - there arent many boots to fit - and the Crestas are great!!
I dont have a pair of the Asolos - but for the beaner boots - they have done the best by me on the trail since I started hiking - ( some 40 years ago)
hikercop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikercop45 View Post
Hi there,
I have a pair of Crestas and I love them - being a landwhale ( 6'2 - 290 ) - there arent many boots to fit - and the Crestas are great!!
I dont have a pair of the Asolos - but for the beaner boots - they have done the best by me on the trail since I started hiking - ( some 40 years ago)
Hmmmm...6'2 and 290 + 6'3 and 245 = violation of Whiteface Mountain overweight truck restriction

Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
hikercop45
fat old hiker of the woods

It could be just that - but - I am a happy slow moving hiker - such is life and pass the potatoes.....but my boots are still comfy....
hikercop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh View Post
Hmmmm...6'2 and 290 + 6'3 and 245 = violation of Whiteface Mountain overweight truck restriction

Who's 6'3 & 245? You Judge? I'm 6'2 and 244. Let's all go visit Hawk.

for supper

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
Who's 6'3 & 245? You Judge? I'm 6'2 and 244. Let's all go visit Hawk.

for supper
Whoa! We're 3/5ths (albeit an aging 3/5ths) of an offensive line. What's cooking at Hawks?

Back on topic: Hikercop's Cresta comments are pretty impressive. I guessing ankle support is excellent, which is important to me.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
Little Rickie

I've had a pair of Asolo 520s since July and my feet are very happy. When I wear my old boots my feet feel tortured.

William Shakespeare
Old 12-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
I've had a pair of Asolo 520s since July and my feet are very happy. When I wear my old boots my feet feel tortured.
I suggest a steel cage match to determine "Best Boot". Hiker "The Slow Footsteps of Death" Cop v. Little "Happy Feet" Rickie in a fight to the finish.

The judge offers his services as referee.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #17
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh View Post
I suggest a steel cage match to determine "Best Boot". Hiker "The Slow Footsteps of Death" Cop v. Little "Happy Feet" Rickie in a fight to the finish.
(hike)

The judge offers his services as referee.
No way man! You gotta get into the mix. Val can Ref.

We're talking about an eating contest aren't we? Hawk has to cook or it' no deal.

Slowest hiker? We have to do that together.

A cop & a judge. I'm sure I have a chance.

William Shakespeare

Last edited by Little Rickie; 12-02-2007 at 09:03 AM..