Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
trekker

Big Moose Lake Paddle Trip?

I just bought my canoe that I've always wanted, and I'm looking to run up north this coming Thursday. I'm planning on paddling across Big Moose Lake(is there a public launch?), and then hiking back to Lower Sister lake. Are there any lean to's back in there, or should I bring the tent.

Any advice ?
trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
I just bought my canoe that I've always wanted, and I'm looking to run up north this coming Thursday. I'm planning on paddling across Big Moose Lake(is there a public launch?), and then hiking back to Lower Sister lake. Are there any lean to's back in there, or should I bring the tent.
There is no true public access to Big Moose Lake, even though there is a DEC trailhead going to Gull Lakes on the north side. There is no public access to the lake you can reach directly from the road. However, I have asked at the Big Moose Inn if I could use a space in the far corner of their large parking lot. The Inn is very accommodating, not a problem (always ask first). I've been told that the adjacent marina will also let you park. Unofficially people have parked at another lot at the resident's club at the end of Higby Road. You may hear differing opinions on if this is allowed - when I asked a man walking the road on the NW shore he told me there is no parking at the club, but said it is ok at the marina. As always, it is best to ask first. There is also a DEC marked hiking trailhead a bit up the hill on Higby Road heading to the lakes to the northeast.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
trekker

Thanks for the quick reply.Is there access to the water from the Inn's property? Also, are there any houses or shacks along the shore of the lake. I've never been there so I'm clueless as to what I will encounter.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.Is there access to the water from the Inn's property? Also, are there any houses or shacks along the shore of the lake. I've never been there so I'm clueless as to what I will encounter.
The Inn is on the water with a nice beach to launch from. There are many private camps (cabins) lining the shore on much of the lake. Once you get all the way to the NE at Inlet bay, now you are on public lands. There is a lean-to on Upper Gull Lake.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
You may hear differing opinions on if this is allowed - when I asked a man walking the road on the NW shore he told me there is no parking at the club, but said it is ok at the marina. As always, it is best to ask first.
Actually, in this case asking is where you went wrong! You asked a man walking the road--who was he, who did he represent? He may have been the second cousin of the guy who mows the lawn for the people who lease the big cabin!

Remember, the entire lake was owned by William Seward Webb, and when he subdivided the lake he included a covenant within the deeds that said that some form of public access to the lake and surrounding state lands had to be maintained. It is because of this covenant that anyone can use the Property Owners Association boat launch at the end of Higby Road, or hike along Judson Road to access Constable Pond. Asking permission is not required.

Parking is limited on Higby Road, however.

Normally, though, it is wise to ask for permission before using private property to access a lake, but in the case of Big Moose I have never known it to be an issue.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
It is because of this covenant that anyone can use the Property Owners Association boat launch at the end of Higby Road, or hike along Judson Road to access Constable Pond. Asking permission is not required.
Ah, ok, that is the reason. Barbara was not clear on that point. Parking at the Ass'n will save a couple of miles of paddling (unless you just want to enjoy the paddle). Anyway, the guy at the Inn was pleasant and I felt safe leaving my car there.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Whiskey Jack

trekker a friend and I did some Breeding Bird Atlas work back there in 04 and had no problem parking at the end of Higby Rd.

There is a lean-too at Andy's Creek where we stayed. It was a bit dark and dreary though, so we stayed closer to the bridge on Andy's Creek.

It was a quiet place and didn't see/hear a soul the whole time we were there. Atlassed up to Lower Sisters' which was a nice hike.

The abundance and type of birds were pretty amazing. Just off the landing to the lean-too, was an occupied Black-backed Woodpeckers nest. Saw Boreal Chickadees, Olive-sided Flycatcher building a nest and the highlight was watching an adult Gray Jay feeding a fledge a freshly caught frog!

Here is a link to some photos I took of that week-end. If you make it back there, enjoy!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blushg.../ph//my_photos
Whiskey Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
trekker

Thanks for all the info people. Me, and a buddy are gonna give it a try. Also, nice work on the pictures.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

3 members of this forum, recently spent some overnighters @ Upper Gull's lean-to & had no problems using the Higby Rd. launch.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote