Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Mavs00
I am the sith

No Tolerance Rules

New instituted forum rule (hunting and fishing) ................... Effective as of NOW.

The hunting and fishing section is for the use of those that enjoy the the activities of hunting and fishing. It is NOT a forum to discuss the ethics of these activities as it pertains to "should or should it not" be allowed or legal. This is not a GUN CONTROL / WILDLIFE debate forum. Hunting and fishing are legal activities and so long as the techniques and information provided here do not violate the law, they are permitted to be discussed WITHOUT INTERFERENCE from those of us that do not partake or disapprove of the activities. There is no room in here any longer to voice personal anti-hunting or anti-fishing points of view.

If you feel a discussion is "out of line", or outside the bounds of decency, CONTACT the moderation team. Likewise, if transgressions to this rule occur, contact the moderation team it will be dealt with quickly. Violations may result in banning, and depending on the severity, without warning.

Police yourself.

p.s. the discussion of theoretical aspects of hunting and fishing and bag limits, new regulations, ect. is fine. This is intended to curtail those annoying "You hunt, therefore you are the devil" garbage threads that I see crop up every now and again.

If you are anti-hunting or anti-fishing, then I suggest you stay out of this section and avoid the temptation to violate the above rule.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
trouthunter

& no more !
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Shaq

I want to see the thread that brought this on...

www.theanglersnet.com
Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
adkmoose

Thank You
Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
St.Regis

Awesome !! Does this mean we have diplomatic immunity?

For example - Can we go over to the wildlife section and talk about how good barbecued pileated woodpecker and wolf burgers taste then run back here without incident?!?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Allons215
Kuyohoora Kid

Outstanding! I have been hunting and fishing in the southwestern Adirondacks since I was a kid, having grown up there. I find its not merely about how many fish you catch, or if you bag that big buck, but about being in some of the most beautiful, desolate and awe inspiring country in the world.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
I want to see the thread that brought this on...
No thread in particular, I always just thought this is what this section needed. Since I now have the ability to do it, I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Awesome !! Does this mean we have diplomatic immunity?

For example - Can we go over to the wildlife section and talk about how good barbecued pileated woodpecker and wolf burgers taste then run back here without incident?!?
Ummmmmmmm, NO
Old 06-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
No thread in particular, I always just thought this is what this section needed. Since I now have the ability to do it, I did.

Ummmmmmmm, NO
Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Little Rickie

ditto

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
New instituted forum rule (hunting and fishing) ................... Effective as of NOW.

The hunting and fishing section is for the use of those that enjoy the the activities of hunting and fishing. It is NOT a forum to discuss the ethics of these activities as it pertains to "should or should it not" be allowed or legal. This is not a GUN CONTROL / WILDLIFE debate forum. Hunting and fishing are legal activities and so long as the techniques and information provided here do not violate the law, they are permitted to be discussed WITHOUT INTERFERENCE from those of us that do not partake or disapprove of the activities. There is no room in here any longer to voice personal anti-hunting or anti-fishing points of view.

If you feel a discussion is "out of line", or outside the bounds of decency, CONTACT the moderation team. Likewise, if transgressions to this rule occur, contact the moderation team it will be dealt with quickly. Violations may result in banning, and depending on the severity, without warning.

Police yourself.

p.s. the discussion of theoretical aspects of hunting and fishing and bag limits, new regulations, ect. is fine. This is intended to curtail those annoying "You hunt, therefore you are the devil" garbage threads that I see crop up every now and again.

If you are anti-hunting or anti-fishing, then I suggest you stay out of this section and avoid the temptation to violate the above rule.

I'm liking this guy more everyday!

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
ken999

...new rules suck...now this section of the forum will be boring...

I couldn't agree more Mavs....glad you decided to take this route...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
Gurn

I think the problem was that Ken guy!! Always stirring the pot!!

Thanks!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
Neil
Kayak-46

The hunters/trappers/fishermen have a lot to teach us lowly peakbaggers. I'd like to hear what they have to say without having to wade through screenfulls of picked apart posts AND the rebuttals to those posts AND THEN the second order rebuttals to THOSE posts. It was ruining the forum. It was chasing away excellent people. And we all have much better things to do and say.

So, is it OK to shoot wolves from a helicopter?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Does this include trappers? I hope so. Neil, you are such a card.Not wolves, just about anything else tho.

Can we have a tread that we can pick each other apart? Sometimes its fun to get up front and personal!Some of our most eloquent members might feel left out ! It does add spice ya know.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #15
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Does this include trappers? I hope so. Neil, you are such a card.Not wolves, just about anything else tho.

Can we have a tread that we can pick each other apart? Sometimes its fun to get up front and personal!Some of our most eloquent members might feel left out ! It does add spice ya know.
Yeah, How about a thread titled " Insult and Injury"
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #16
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Viscious hour?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #17
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Police yourself.

Mavs, I actually tried a couple of months back to work out an arrangement so there would not be back and fourths.

Note the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I think we should make a "treaty".

We won't comment adversely on the threads about guns and legislation in the hunting section.

an return, the gun people agree not to talk about killing and shooting in the wildlife section as a solution to everything.

is that fair?

Please understand, I am serious, this is not sarcasm, cynicism or anything else.

Deal??
rather straight forward and i thought reasonable.

This was the reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Redhawk, I am just as serious...
"Treaties" are asked for by people who want control over other people and they want the other people to give up something....like their "Rights".
So, it's not like none of us haven't tried to reach a compromise. But it takes two sides to compromise and if one side thinks it's "giving up control", then what can one do?

Ugly Moose started a thread to try to get the problems out in the open. I posted my thoughts on what some of the problems were. We had a decent dialog going and the prior administration locked the thread. Neither Ugly moose or I could understand why the thread was locked when we were trying to foster an understanding.

Sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is to get both sides to discuss frankly what their feelings are and why one side or the other, or both feel the way they do. I personally think that we are adult enough here that through frank dialog the air might be cleared. However attempts to do that in the past were cut off by administration. It was as if they felt that we were not mature enough or intelligent enough to be able to work through it, and that the only solution was to tell us to "play nice" and lock any threads that "might" become a problem in their eyes.

we went through a global warming thread and a wolf restoration thread, which were considered "problem" topics with over 100 posts on each without any serious problems.

As one of the longer time members of this forum, I can remember when we were allowed to discuss almost anything and we did, and with very few exceptions we had reasonable, civil discussions and there was very little moderation needed. And as you know, because you joined here pretty early also, the forum was a friendly place and had a "family' feeling to it. I think that this forum was rather unique in that sense, especially that many of us disagreed but we were able to do so without finger pointing or whining about being picked on, or flaming. In fact I think this may have been a model forum in that sense.

Over the last year, a lot of the friendliness that existed here went south and I think that a part of it was because it became over moderated. People on both sides of many issues became frustrated, because threads were locked or people were PM'd to cease and desist because of what "might" happen. As a result, things became more contentious.

Hopefully, on whatever the issues are, the people on the opposite sides can understand that it's issues being debated, not personalities. I also hope that people will accept the fact that if they post something that others disagree with, those people have a perfect right to offer their opinions, as long as it's done civilly.

If we can return to that, then we can get this forum back to what it once was, what made it a friendly place.

Hopefully we can find the right balance of moderation ad hopefully people will understand that when people compromise, BOTH parties give up something, but they both also gain something as well.

Finally, several months ago, at a time when some people were complaining that when they logged on and did a new thread search, they saw a multitude of fishing and hunting posts and not a lot of backpacking related posts, I suggested to Dick and Gary, that maybe making the hunting and fishing section a "special interest" forum like the Highest Hundred on adkhighpeaks. That was, anyone who was interested in the hunting and fishing would have access and those who didn't wouldn't. It would have solved a lot of problems that flared up later. They chose not to follow that course, but it's still an option that makes sense and seems to me would be fair for everyone.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Last edited by redhawk; 06-27-2007 at 12:53 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 AM   #18
Neil
Kayak-46

I think the idea of a special interest forum is worthy of consideration.

I also think that threads that involve unfriendly back and forth unresolvable debate, picked apart posts and rebuttal after cynical rebuttal belong on some other forum altogether.

Zero tolerance is the order of the day.

Anyone wanting to discuss this further please do so in PM's to Mavs00 and myself.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #19
Mavs00
I am the sith

Points of view have been noted and we appreciate the sentiments. However, the No tolerance rule outlined in the opening post is in effect.

It is not negotiable at this time. Please read over it and if you have questions, let either of us know.

As for Special Interest Groups, we'll discuss in within the moderation group. As Neil stated, feel free to PM both of us if you have something to add or just want us let us know your thoughts. We'll share it among the moderators and will do what we feel is in the best interest of the forum. THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED so that the message of the initial post is not lost.

Hawk brings up a good points and are things to chew and and think about, however this is not the thread to do it in. Thanks.