Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
PAHiker
Michael Henry

Ore Bed Brook Trail Consideration

Im considering leaving the JBL and climbing to Ore Bed Brook Trail to the summit of Gothics. From there I wanted to continue over Armstrong and Upper WJ. If we feel chipper, Id like to tag Lower WJ on there as well and then return to the JBL. Has anybody done this hike or been up there lately? How is it?
PAHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
hikerdad

That would be a great hike...about 8.2m without LWJ (add another mile for the there and back to LWJ). The climb up Gothics that way has the cables which are a lot of fun. The Orebed trail can be fairly rugged. When you see the drop down into Wolfjaw notch and the climb back up you may think twice about adding on LWJ...Enjoy...it's a great hike.
hikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

I also like going in from AMR and heading up the weld trail and going over pyramid first. Pyramid is a must for every hiker on a clear day!
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Dick
somewhere out there...

We have done AMR to Pyramid, Gothics, Armstrong, UWJ, which was plenty for us 'ol folk. Agreed, the west face of Gothics (cable route) is fun and spectacular. Perhaps another option would be to tack Pyramid on to your hike from the summit of Gothics (r.t.), which is not really that far (and possibly eliminating LWJ as you see fit).

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
PAHiker
Michael Henry

Thanks

I have been wanting to do this hike for a year now. I sent an email to the JBL to see if they had any vacany the first weekend of August but I havent received a response yet. I have yet to lay eyes on the cable route for Gothics but reading trip reports and trail summaries of this route get me all excited. Anybody care to share their own personal feelings about the cables on Gothics? Id love to hear them...
PAHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Gothics Cables

We did the route you describe but in the opposite direction. I liked the fact that Gothics was our final mountain as the views just kept getting better and better. But, going down the cables was tedious and not as much fun as I think going up would be.

Pat T
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Dick
somewhere out there...

The cable route is open all the way to the summit, and is steep, exhilerating, with fine views! I really didn't need the cable on the way up, but did use it descending. I believe it was put there primarily to keep hikers off of the fragile vegetation, not for convenience. Perhaps Pete Hickey will comment further - he helped install it.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Naturlvr73

gothics cable

We have bragging rights! We climbed Gothics in 2004...the year there was no cable! It was fine. Gothics is awesome! Then we did Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw....Its pretty steep on the way down to one of them. We had to keep throwing our poles down and doing a little combination rock climbing and jumping. at first, but turned out to be fun!
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote